Instant Pot Greek Lamb Stew
Instant Pot Lamb Stew is a hearty, fragrant, flavorful stew packed with lean protein, veggies and welcoming scents that is perfect for the fall.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds (675g) lean lamb leg steaks, cubed
- 1 medium onion diced or 1 cup (220g) frozen diced onion
- 1 bell pepper diced 1 Cup (220g) frozen diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (180g) chicken broth
- 4 oz (100g) pitted olives
How To Make Instant Pot Lamb Stew
Heat the olive oil in your Instant Pot and brown the lamb in batches. Remove lamb from the pan and set aside.
Deglaze the pan with a splash of stock.
Add the frozen diced onion and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes until softened.
Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Switch off heat and mix in the Greek seasoning, cinnamon, bay leaf and salt.
Next, add these ingredients but do not mix them, to avoid a burn notice - add lamb back to the pan, followed by chicken broth, tomato paste and diced tomatoes.
Cover the pot, set valve to seal, choose the stew setting for 35 minutes and allow to cook until done.
Let the steam release naturally, about 10-15 minutes before opening.
Stir in the olives and serve.
How To Make Dump And Start Lamb Stew
Put all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot, making sure to add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes on top. Do not mix together.
Cover the Instant Pot, turn the valve to the sealing position, and set the stew setting for 35 minutes.
Allow for a complete natural pressure release before opening. Stir in the olives and then serve.
Make In The Slow Cooker
Heat the olive oil in your slow cooker and brown the lamb in batches. Remove lamb from the pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with a splash of stock.
Add the frozen diced onion and pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
Add the lamb back in along with the rest of the ingredients. Cover the slow cooker and set to cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
Make On The Stove Top
Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish and brown the lamb in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Deglaze the pan with a splash of the stock. Add the frozen diced onion and pepper and sauté for about 6 minutes until softened.
Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. Then mix in the Greek seasoning, cinnamon, bay leaf, and salt, stirring for a further 30 seconds.
Return the lamb to the pan and stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours, until the lamb is tender (adding more chicken stock if the stew starts to dry out).
About 5 minutes before it is done, add in the olives and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- To make the prep work for your stew even more simple, you can buy pre-cubed meat, or just ask your butcher to cut into cubes for you. Make sure it’s cut into bigger size pieces.
- To avoid a burn notice, do not mix the ingredients together in the Instant Pot.
- Use frozen onion and peppers and toss them right in the Instant Pot to keep this recipe super simple.
- If adding in more vegetables, make sure to cut them in bigger chunks so they don’t fall apart.
- Browning the lamb first adds a nice depth of flavor.
- Cook time listed does not include the time it takes for Instant Pot to come up to pressure or for the pressure to release.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 3 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
More Stew Recipes
More Lamb Recipes
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 390mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 769IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg