SPAM® Fritters Katsu Curry Recipe
This recipe for SPAM® Fritters Katsu Curry combines a flavourful curry sauce with the iconic SPAM® fritter.
For The Katsu Curry Sauce;
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 star anise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 500 milliters (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
For The SPAM® Fritters;
- 400 grams (14 ounces) 2 tins SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) flour seasoned with salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 100 grams (1 cup + 1 tablespoon) Panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
To Make The Katsu Curry Sauce;
Heat oil in a saucepan, and sauté onion for about 5 minutes until soft.
Stir in garlic and ginger, sauté for about 15 seconds until fragrant.
Add curry powder and star anise and cook for another 10 seconds.
Mix in the flour and gradually stir in the stock, making sure the flour is fully dissolved.
Next, add honey and soy sauce, reduce to a simmer and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes to thicken.
Switch off the heat, allow the sauce to cool. Then blitz with an immersion blender to create a smooth sauce.
To Make The SPAM® Fritters;
Remove SPAM® from the tins and slice into even sections.
Using three shallow bowls, and add flour to one, the beaten egg to another, and breadcrumbs to the third.
First dredge slices in the flour, then dip into the egg, then place in the breadcrumbs.
Transfer coated slices to a plate or lined baking tray.
Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat, and fry each side of the fritters until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
Remove and set on a plate lined with paper towels. Continue until all fritters have been cooked.
- Make sure to remove the SPAM® from the tin in one piece. Then rest it on its side to slice into even sections.
- If there is too much moisture in the flour or breadcrumbs, scoop that part out of the bowl and add more if needed.
- Don’t let the fritter sit in the coating mix or it will get soggy. Transfer to plate or baking tray and then cook right away.
- For extra flavour, add spices or herbs to the panko breadcrumbs.
- It’s important to use an oil with a high smoke point such as sunflower, vegetable, or rapeseed. I don’t recommend using olive oil.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 10 Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving of this.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 916mg | Potassium: 343mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 37IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2mg