Creamy Crockpot Grits
An effortless and affordable dump and start crockpot recipe the whole family will love.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup (257g) stoneground grits
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream optional, but highly recommended
Soak your grits in 4-5 cups of water.
The grits will release a part of them that you don’t need. It will float to the top of your soaking water. Skim this off and discard.
Drain your grits in a strainer.
Add grits to the slow cooker. Then add your water, salt and butter. Mix it all together.
Cover and cook your grits on LOW for 7-8 hours.
There are 9 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
- Make sure you rinse your grits before you cook them to remove that protective coating that’s harmless but feels odd in your mouth.
- Don’t forget to soak and skim the grits or they won’t turn out.
- Try draining the grits in a strainer to really make sure they’re ready to cook.
- If you’re able to stir the grits a few times as they cook that’s great. But if you can’t, don’t worry about it.
- It may help to spray your crockpot liner with non-stick spray before adding grits.
- For easier cleanup, use a crockpot liner.
- Salt to taste, I like about a ½ teaspoon.
- Slow Cookers cook at different temperatures and may require different cooking times. Check your specific make and model manual to ensure proper cooking time and temperature.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 477IU | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg