Instant Pot Colcannon
A one-pot version of classic Irish mashed potatoes and cabbage.
- 1 ½ cups (354g) water or stock
- 3 pounds (1360g) potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
- ½ head green cabbage cut into large wedges
- ½ cup (120g) heavy cream
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- chives for garnish
Pour water into the Instant Pot insert and add the cubed potatoes.
Add cabbage into an Instant Pot safe bowl or steamer basket and place it on top of the potatoes. Make sure this bowl is secure and stands upright.
Cover and seal the lid and set it to high pressure/manual for 5 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before quickly releasing the remaining pressure.
Remove the cabbage, chop and set aside.
Drain the water from the potatoes, then add in the cream, salt and nutmeg, and mash until smooth.
Mix in chives and cabbage and serve.
- Cut the potatoes into similar-sized cubes so they cook evenly and at the same rate.
- Want super fluffy potatoes? Soak the potatoes in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain and add to the Instant Pot to cook.
- You can skip peeling the potatoes if you prefer a more rustic look and flavor.
- Chop the head of cabbage into 6-8 large wedges for even cooking.
- Don't cut the cabbage too small or it will become overly mushy when cooking.
- If you prefer, you can sauté the cabbage in a separate pan on the stovetop, or in the Instant Pot before you cook the potatoes.
- For more flavor, use chicken broth instead of water.
- Cooking times listed do not include the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure, or for the pressure to release.
- Storage – keep in an airtight container inside the fridge for up to 4 days.
- There are 9 WW Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving of this.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 1099mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg