Instant Pot Moroccan Split Pea Soup
Make hearty and satisfying Instant Pot Moroccan split pea soup with this quick and easy recipe.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 cups (425g) split peas, picked through and rinsed
- 2 carrots chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 4 spring onions scallions, sliced
- 1 bell pepper deseeded and cut into big cubes
- 6 cups (2.5l) vegetable stock
- 14 oz (400g) finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients, up to the black pepper, into the Instant Pot insert.
Cover your Instant Pot, set the vent to 'sealing’, select the soup button, select high pressure and set the timer to 12 mins (for peas with a little bite), or to 15 mins for softer peas.
When done, allow the Instant Pot to undergo natural pressure release for 5 mins.
Switch off and open the lid.
Stir and let it stand for a little while as the soup thickens.
Tips For Making Pressure Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Cook time does not include time to come up to pressure or for pressure to release.
- Try making it as a thicker purée (add less vegetable stock) and serving as a dip. This is popular in the Northern region of Morocco where they accompany it with Moroccan bread called khobz.
- You can easily make this with Indian flavours by swapping in spices like curry powder or garam masala.
- Top pressure cooker split pea soup with pickled vegetables, a dollop of unflavoured yoghurt (if not vegan), or homemade croutons.
- Adjust the time under pressure depending upon your desired consistency. If you like your split peas with a bite, set the timer to 12 mins. For softer peas, cook them for 15 mins.
- Not vegan? Try adding cooked bacon or ham to the final dish or add a leftover ham bone to the cooking process to infuse a delicious flavour into the soup.
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup will thicken as it cools. If it becomes too thick, add in additional stock.
- You can freeze Instant Pot Split Pea Soup for easy meal prep. Freeze in individual portions or freeze all of it at once. You can use freezer-safe bags, plastic containers, etc.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
Weight Watchers Points in This Instant Pot Soup Recipe
There are 0 Freestyle points in this Instant Pot soup recipe. Yeap, zero!!
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 14g | Sodium: 1348mg | Potassium: 813mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4115IU | Vitamin C: 27.6mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3.5mg