Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Buttermilk Pancakes have a golden crisp edge and a light buttery inside. This Buttermilk Pancakes recipe is made from scratch and is a crowd pleaser.
Servings 10 servings
- 1 ¾ Cup (224 grams) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 ½ Cup (360 milliliter) buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and nutmeg.
Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing well until everything is roughly incorporated. It’s okay to still have some lumps.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brush with oil or butter. Pour around ¼ cup batter into the hot skillet and cook for 2 minutes or until small holes shape on the top (like bubbles popping). Flip and cook for 1 more minute or until done.
Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- If you’re making a big batch of them, keep the cooked pancakes warm by storing in the oven on a wire rack on a baking sheet for 5-10 minutes at 200F / 94C.
- Make sure you have butter or cooking spray on your skillet or griddle before cooking the pancakes to help them flip easier and not stick to the surface.
- It’s okay to have a few lumps in your batter, you don’t want to over mix the pancakes.
- Wait for the pancakes to start bubbling before flipping them. They won’t be ready to flip before they start to bubble.
- To help get fluffy pancakes, don’t be afraid to leave a few lumps in your batter and let the batter rest for 10 minutes before starting to cook them. I use this time to heat the griddle or skillet, set the table, etc.
- The trick to getting golden brown pancakes is cooking them on the right heat setting. Use low or medium on your griddle or skillet, never cook pancakes on high.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 4 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 107IU | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 1mg