Spiced Crock Pot Pinto Beans
Crock Pot Pinto Beans are hearty, nutritious, full of spiced smoky flavor and are super tasty. It’s a true frugal dump and start slow cooker recipe.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 pound (450g) pinto beans picked through, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup (68g) bacon or ham diced and cooked
- 4 cups (946ml) chicken broth
- 2 cups (480ml) water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼- 1 teaspoon chipotle flakes to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cover the cooker and cook on HIGH for 8-10 hours, without opening the lid.
When done, add salt if desired, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
There are 1 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
- My beans took 9 hours in my Crockpot, adjust yours depending on your make and model of slow cooker.
- Examine your beans before you cook them. Pick out the bad looking ones and toss them.
- If you don’t like spicy pinto beans, feel free to omit the chipotle flakes.
- If you need to thicken your beans, at the end, take a few beans out of the cookers, mash them and return to the rest.
- Don’t add salt to your beans until the end of your cooking time, as salting at the beginning may toughen the beans and increase the cooking time.
- Wait until the end to adjust your seasonings.
- Cooking times may vary depending on your pressure cooker make and model and the age of your beans. Make sure to consult your manual for optimal cooking time.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 444mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 234IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg