Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo Recipe
A delicious chicken dinner for the whole family
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ⅔ cup (160ml) white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) tamari soy sauce or regular soy sauce if not gluten free
- ¼ cup (59ml) low sodium chicken broth optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander optional
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar optional
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, add chicken and brown both sides. When done, place them skin side up in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Add onions to the skillet and sauté for about 5 minutes till softened, stir in garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant, then transfer to the slow cooker.
In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, chicken broth, ground coriander, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into the slow cooker.
Add bay leaves, put the lid on, and set to cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Avoid opening the lid during cooking.
- Traditional methods of this recipe call for coriander seed. I prefer to use ground coriander for flavor and convenience.
- Adding chicken broth and brown sugar helps cut some of the sharpness of this dish. Omit them if you prefer a dish that is more tangy than sweet.
- Thicken the sauce by heating it in a saucepan before serving.
- If you prefer to keep this low carb, serve with riced cauliflower instead of rice.
- There are 3 Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving of this.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 827mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 27IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg