Jamaican Rice and Peas
This Jamaican Rice and Peas recipe is quick, easy and so flavorful!
- 4 green onions (spring onions) chopped
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ginger pureé
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 3 cups (600g) basmati rice
- 14 oz (400g) can black-eyed beans or kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2.9 cups (700ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1.6 cups (400ml) light coconut milk
- salt to taste
Jamaican Rice and Peas - Stovetop Instructions
Add all the Jamaican peas and rice ingredients to the saucepan and mix well.
Cover the saucepan and bring to boil. Stir with a spatula, then reduce heat to low and steam for about 15-20 minutes or until rice is soft.
Switch off the heat, mix and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Jamaican Rice and Peas - Rice Cooker Instructions
Jamaican Rice and Peas With Coconut Milk Tips
- This frugal side dish is often found with chicken, oxtails or fish but can pair well with just about everything.
- To keep this dish lighter in calories, I make this with light coconut milk instead of regular coconut milk and coconut oil, as some other recipes may call for.
- You can make this with white rice but if you prefer you can make it with brown rice. But you will need to cook it for longer and with more stock.
- If you’re looking to make this strictly vegan or vegetarian, make sure to use vegetable stock not chicken stock as both are listed as options.
- This can be a simple dump and start recipe for the stovetop or the rice cooker, but do NOT forget to stir it all together so the seasonings get to flavor all of the ingredients, not just one place.
Jamaican Rice and Peas Serving Suggestions
Jamaican Rice and Peas Weight Watchers Points
There are 9 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of Jamaican Rice and Peas.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 132mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 82IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg