Instant Pot Chili
This Instant Pot Chili recipe is so easy to make and full of flavour.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced 1 cup diced frozen onion
- 1 1 fresh pepper deseeded and diced frozen diced red bell pepper or 1 cup diced frozen diced red bell pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 lb (900g) lean ground beef
- 14 oz X 2 (2 X400g) cans of kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 14 oz x 2 (2 x400g) tins of diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp beef broth
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Set your Instant Pot to Sauté and add in the vegetable oil until hot.
Add the onion and pepper and sauté for 5 mins until softened.
Stir in the garlic followed by the ground beef and brown it making sure to break it up. Please remove ANY excess water from the beef using a scoop. You want the beef to be dry as it is cooking so that it caramelises a little bit (for the awesome chili flavour that we know and love).
Add in the broth and quickly deglaze the inner pot (by scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon) in case anything is stuck on.
Then add in the remaining ingredients ending with the diced tomatoes and beans on top. Do NOT stir.
Cover your Instant Pot, set the vent to seal, select the manual setting and set the timer to 15 mins, and let the chili cook under high pressure until done.
When done let the pressure release naturally. When the chili is ready, stir it thoroughly before serving.
Freezer Instant Pot Dump Chili
Sauté your veggies
Stir in the garlic followed by the beef and brown it making sure to break it up. Please remove ANY excess water from the beef using a scoop.
Let this cool and add to a freezer bag along with the rest of the ingredients and an extra quarter cup of beef stock and freezer.
When ready to use, thaw overnight in the fridge, add to Instant Pot and cook under high pressure for 15 mins, followed by an NPR.
Pro Recipe Tips
- The reason for not stirring after you add in the tomatoes is to help you avoid the 'burn notice' on the Instant Pot. (The burn notice is a rather scary red message on your Instant Pot that simply reads 'burn.'). See more below.
- The total cook time does not include the time it takes for the Instant Pot to get to pressure. Plan for additional time
- Swap the meat - You can sub the ground beef in this recipe for lean ground turkey or ground chicken to cut the calories.
- Swap the beef broth - you can use extra tomato juice, or other liquids like vegetable or chicken broth instead.
- Swap the beans - feel free to use other beans like black beans, black eyed beans, butter beans or even chickpeas.
- Add extra heat - a dash of hot sauce, chipotle, red pepper flakes or cayenne will add that little extra heat if you prefer.
There are endless things you can serve with this easy dish such as Instant Pot Brown Rice, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, Instant Pot Cornbread, these super easy No knead Instant Pot Bread Rolls, and some Instant Pot Mac and Cheese.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Weight Watchers Points
There are 3 Blue Plan SmartPoints per serving if you replace the 1 tbsp vegetable oil with a calorie-controlled cooking spray.
Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 400mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 710IU | Vitamin C: 24.3mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 4.6mg