Here is how to make the perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice with only 3 ingredients and less than 30 mins. It is easy, aromatic and fail-safe. This recipe is suitable for people following a vegan and gluten-free diet. Post includes Weight Watchers points.
I am all about easy recipes like this fail-proof Easy Instant Pot Brown Rice which requires minimal effort and less than 5 minutes of prep, but still comes out perfectly cooked and fluffy EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Yeap, this recipe embodies the best of the best about easy, lazy yet awesome cooking.
This flavorful Pressure Cooker is made with three hero ingredients aka brown rice, water and salt and comes together in half the time you would normally cook it. However, you can add a few other ingredients to amp up the flavor of your Instant Pot Brown Rice depending on what you are going to serve it with.
It is great for meal prep, can be double or tripled to feed a crowd, is great for freezing for quick weeknight suppers and is great for serving with super quick Instant Pot Chicken Curry 0r with easy Easy Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli.
The Secret To The Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice => Water To Rice Ratio
The secret to the perfect brown rice is the the ratio of water to brown rice, and this again is easy. Basically, for each 1 cup (190g ) of brown rice, you are cooking you need to add in 1.25 cups (1.25 cups 300ml ) of water. Follow this ratio to end up with the perfect fluffy brown rice. Every single time.
Related Link: Instant Pot White Rice.
Sometimes you may prefer softer rice especially if you want to add it to soups etc. In this case then increase the ratio of 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups of water.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe Materials
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
- 8 qt Instant Pot.
- 3 qt Instant Pot or 6 qt Instant Pot depending on family size.
- Measuring jugs or cups.
- Measuring teaspoons.
- Sea Salt Flakes <= amazing salt that makes your food taste good.
- Bowls with covers.
- For storing your leftover food.
- Free meal planning kit.
How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
Well, cooking brown rice in your Instant Pot is super easy.
- To cook your Instant Pot Brown Rice simple add the brown rice, amazing sea salt, water and any extra flavours you are using.
- Cover the pot, choose the manual setting and set the timer for 22 mins and let cook.
- When done, let the pressure release naturally. Fluff the rice and serve.
Yes – THAT. IS. IT.
How To Cook Brown Basmati Rice In A Saucepan
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot then you can easily cook brown basmati rice in a saucepan.
- You would have to change the ratio to 190g (1 cup) of brown rice to 480ml (2 cups) of water.
- Add the brown rice, water, sea salt and any seasoning to a pot, cover bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 45 mins.
- Do NOT open the pot during the 45 mins.
- When done, open the saucepan for a min to let the steam escape, then cover for a further 10 mins, before fluffing and serving.
Instant Pot Brown Basmati Rice Tips
Making brown rice in the Instanrt Pot is soooooooooooo easy. For real. Here are a few other tips to help you.
- Vary the Flavoring. You can add oil for creaminess, bay leaf for fragrance, cinnamon for warmth, chilli for heat, cumin seed or fennel seeds for serving with curry, lemon or lime zest to cut through sweeter stews and caramelised onions or cardamom just because they are some of the best flavours in the world.
- Use broth: you can substitute in some broth for the water to add some flavour. Just remember to watch the salt content of the broth or reduce the salt you add in.
- Toast the grains. To add more flavour feel free to toast the washed rice before cooking it. You can toast for a few minutes in your Instant pot using some oil or in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Toast to dry. Toasting the grains will also help remove any excess water that still remains after washing.
Related Link : How To Cook Instant Pot Quinoa.
Instant Pot Rice Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to rinse my rice before adding it to the Instant Pot?
There is a fierce debate on blogs and social media about washed vs. unwashed rice. Should you rinse your rice before adding it to the Instant Pot? Some say ‘yes, always’ but others say ‘don’t bother.’ By washing the rice, you introduce additional moisture (and when you cook in the Instant Pot, no moisture releases).
Additional moisture = slightly different results. So you can wash your rice. But do dry it thoroughly. One way is to wash it and let it sit in the sieve for at least 30 mins before cooking.
Another way is to dry fry the rice for a few mins to get rid of the excess moisture. If you are unsure if your rice is dry enough before adding it to the Instant Pot, I suggest slightly reducing the amount of water (or liquid) you add to your recipe. Reduce the liquid in the recipe by about 2-3 tablespoons for every 1 cup (170g ) rice.
How do I cook PIP (Pot in Pot) rice?
The PIP method will require additional time under pressure because the container slows down the cooking time. Add at least 3 mins of additional cook time, up to 5 additional mins.
How Long Does Brown Rice Take to Cook In Instant Pot?
Instant Pot Brown Rice takes 22 minutes. However, if you want softer rice you can add a few more minutes to your cooking time.
Prep Ahead and Storing and Freezing.
Related Link : The Best Glass Meal Prep Containers.
This brown rice is a great meal prep solution. You can store this in a meal prep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Make sure you use an air-tight container. But for longer storage, follow this nifty method:
- Make sure it is completely cooled.
- Add to an airtight meal prep container or ziploc bag and label.
- Place the bag or container flat in the freezer.
- Your Instant Pot Rice can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli.
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin.
- Instant Pot Pock Chops.
- Air Fryer Salmon.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes
More Instant Pot Basics
Weight Watchers Points in Instant Pot Brown Rice
If you increase the servings to 8 servings, there are:
- 5 Freestyle points per serving
- 4 PointsPlus points per serving
Instant Pot Brown Rice Reader Feedback + How to Make Cilantro Brown Rice
I love feedback from my wonderful readers about my recipes. Here are a few comments from Facebook:
Michael M: ‘Worked like a charm!!’
Tina B: ‘the brown rice made with lime and cilantro is delish! Thanks for your brown rice recipe!’
Here is how Tina made cilantro brown rice in the Instant Pot: ‘I added like 1/2 a bushel of cilantro finely chopped, I just kinda did it by taste, and about 2 tbs spoons full of lime juice. I added these after the rice was cooked. I definitely will be making this again.’
Instant Pot Rice Recipe Video
Whilst this is not actually Instant Pot Brown Rice, it is a video for how to cook Instant Pot Rice. To start you off cooking rice in the Instant Pot. You would change the rice to brown basmati rice and cook for 22 mins.
Ok, enough chat. I see you dropping everything to go make yourself this Instant Pot Brown Rice recipe. Right?
Thank you for reading my Instant Pot rice recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for reading Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Get The Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Brown Rice! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups (380g) brown rice I used basmati brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) water
- Salt to taste
- Add rice, water and salt to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, select the manual setting and set the timer for 22 mins and let cook.
- When done you can either let the pressure release naturally or let rest for 8 mins and then QPR.
- Fluff the rice and serve.
- 5 Freestyle points per serving
- 4 PointsPlus points per serving