This post is for those of you who have got an Instant Pot or will be getting Instant Pot for Christmas (hoping Santa listens… if he doesn’t, you can get the Instant Pot DUO Plus 6 Qt 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker ).
But before I chat to you about this recipe can I ask you how your Christmas shopping is going? Got it all bought, ordered, or at least got your lists made?
I am one of those people who does most of her Christmas shopping in the January sales. Well, that comes with having about 18 kids/nieces/nephews/ young cousins etc to shop for. So when Christmas actually comes round I am already done.
This year I am taking part in a fun secret Santa thingy. So I decided to act like normal people and hit the shops. And boy did I have fun. Christmas music here there, everywhere, decorations, happy people talking / laughing/shopping and pretty fabulous things to buy. Guys, I was in heaven.
I may have over-shopped till I dropped. But I seriously intend to repeat this experience at least a couple of times a year. Non-internet shopping can be fuuuuuuuuun.
Okay, okay, let’s get back to the recipe.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe Materials
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
- 8 qt Instant Pot.
- 3 qt Instant Pot or 6 qt Instant Pot depending on family size.
- Measuring jugs or cups.
- Measuring teaspoons.
- Sea Salt Flakes <= amazing salt that makes your food taste good.
- Bowls with covers.
- For storing your leftover food.
Tips On The Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice
Making Instant Pot Brown Rice is soooooooooooo easy. For real.
- First step – the ingredients. The three hero ingredients are brown rice, water and salt. Three pantry staples and that is it!
- However, you can add a few other ingredients to your Instant Pot Rice depending on what you are going to serve it with.
- You can add oil for creaminess, bay leaf for fragrance, cinnamon for warmth, chilli for heat, cumin seed or fennel seeds for serving with curry, lemon or lime zest to cut through sweeter stews and caramelised onions or cardamom just because they are some of the best flavours in the world.
- Next step is to think about the ratio of water to rice, and this again is easy. Basically, for each 190g (1 cup) of rice, you are cooking you need to add in 300 ml (1.25 cups) of water. Follow this ratio to end up with the perfect fluffy brown rice. Every single time.
Sometimes you may prefer softer rice especially if you want to add it to soups etc. In this case then increase the ratio of 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups of water.
How To Cook Instant Pot Brown Rice
Well, this is the easiest part.
- To cook your Instant Pot Brown Rice simple add the brown rice, amazing sea salt, water and any extra flavours you are using.
- Cover the pot, choose the manual setting and set the timer for 22 mins and let cook.
- When done, let the pressure release naturally. Fluff the rice and serve.
Yes – THAT. IS. IT.
Instant Pot Rice Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to rinse my rice before adding it to the Instant Pot?
There is a fierce debate on blogs and social media about washed vs. unwashed rice. Should you rinse your rice before adding it to the Instant Pot? Some say ‘yes, always’ but others say ‘don’t bother.’
By washing the rice, you introduce additional moisture (and when you cook in the Instant Pot, no moisture releases). Additional moisture = slightly different results.
So you can wash your rice. But do dry it thoroughly. One way is to wash it and let it sit in the sieve for at least 30 mins before cooking. Another way is to dry fry the rice for a few mins to get rid of the excess moisture.
If you are unsure if your rice is dry enough before adding it to the Instant Pot, I suggest slightly reducing the amount of water (or liquid) you add to your recipe. Reduce the liquid in the recipe by about 1-2 tbsp for every 170g (1 cup) rice.
How do I cook PIP (Pot in Pot) rice?
The PIP method will require additional time under pressure because the container slows down the cooking time. Add at least 3 mins of additional cook time, up to 5 additional mins.
How Long Does Brown Rice Take to Cook In Instant Pot?
Instant Pot Brown Rice takes 22 minutes. However, if you want softer rice you can add a few more minutes to your cooking time.
How To Cook Brown Basmati Rice In A Pot
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot then you can easily cook brown basmati rice in a pot.
- You would have to change the ratio to 190g (1 cup) of brown rice to 480ml (2 cups) of water.
- Add the brown rice, water, salt and any seasoning to a pot, cover bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 45 mins.
- Do NOT open the pot during the 45 mins.
- When done, open the pot for a min to let the steam escape, then cover for a further 10 mins, before fluffing and serving.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Brown Rice
Weight Watchers Points in Instant Pot Brown Rice
If you increase the servings to 8 servings, there are:
- 5 Freestyle points per serving
- 4 PointsPlus points per serving
Instant Pot Brown Rice Reader Feedback + How to Make Cilantro Brown Rice
I love feedback from my wonderful readers about my recipes. Here are a few comments from Facebook:
Michael M: ‘Worked like a charm!!’
Tina B: ‘the brown rice made with lime and cilantro is delish! Thanks for your brown rice recipe!’
Here is how Tina made cilantro brown rice in the Instant Pot: ‘I added like 1/2 a bushel of cilantro finely chopped, I just kinda did it by taste, and about 2 tbs spoons full of lime juice. I added these after the rice was cooked. I definitely will be making this again.’
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Instant Pot Rice Recipe Video
Whilst this is not actually Instant Pot Brown Rice, it is a video for how to cook Instant Pot Rice. To start you off cooking rice in the Instant Pot. You would change the rice to brown basmati rice and cook for 22 mins.
Ok, enough chat.
I see you dropping everything to go make yourself this Instant Pot Brown Rice recipe.
The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot
For everything you need to know about the Instant Pot, check out my post: Instant Pot Review – The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot.
Thank you for reading my Instant Pot rice recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for reading Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
** This post contains affiliate links.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Brown Rice! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 380 g brown rice I used basmati brown rice
- 600 ml water
- Salt to taste
- Add rice, water and salt to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, select the manual setting and set the timer for 22 mins and let cook.
- When done you can either let the pressure release naturally or let rest for 8 mins and then QPR.
- Fluff the rice and serve.
- 5 Freestyle points per serving
- 4 PointsPlus points per serving