A few years back, I was lucky enough to go to Barcelona with one of my greatest friends. We stayed at the cutest ever bed and breakfast and spent hours wondering thought Barcelona taking in the all things Gaudi and the sights, sounds and tastes of Barcelona.
It was one of the best holidays of my life. Not just because I absolutely loved Barcelona and want to go back again and again. But because I was also pregnant with my eldest which just added to the specialness of the occasion. What it also meant though was that I was rather tired in the evenings. So I would just stay in the hotel whilst my mate would head out and get lost whilst hunting out the best that Barcelona had to offer for our supper. This was how we managed to eat one of the best ever falafels of our entire lives. Seriously, seriously good. We loved them so much that we both headed out to try and find the shop the next day but no luck.
Seeing my friend E post her chickpea and almond meal falafels was just the kick I needed to try and recapture that moment in Barcelona. I knew the flavours would be great – I mean finely chopped chickpeas, cumin, almond, allspice and fresh coriander would just have to work right? And they did.
I served the baked falafels wrapped up in with some 5 minute yoghurt flat breads and piled high with pickled onions, tomatoes and tahini yoghurt sauce – it was a feast.
Please try these baked almond and chickpea falafels – they really are seriously, seriously good. And if you want more falafels then please try these baked quinoa falafel with a orange tahini dressing.
Baked Almond and Chickpea Falafels
For the falafels:
- 200 g (1 cup) chickpeas soaked over night
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium red onion roughly chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves cilantro
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/4 allspice
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
The tahini yoghurt sauce:
- 250 g yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp tahini
- Olive oil to spray
- To serve - flatbreads pickled onions, salad
For the falafels:
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, onions and coriander into a food processor and whiz until the mixture is coarsely ground.
- Then add in the oil and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped but not mushy.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add in all the spices, salt, baking powder and ground almonds and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning before refrigerating for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 170C / 190C / 375F / gas 5 and line a baking tray.
- Wet your hands and roll about 2 tbsp of the falafel into a small ball and transfer to the baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the mixture until all done.
- Spray the falafels with some olive oil and bake for about 25 mins until golden brown and done.
For the tahini yoghurt sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients for the tahini yoghurt sauce until well combined.
- Serve the falafels with flatbreads, the tahini yoghurt sauce, along with some pickle onions and salad.