These Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Waffles are the stuff that brunch dreams are made of. Thick, yet fluffy, sweet but not too sweet and full of warming fall flavors, they make the perfect treat for a fall brunch or winter breakfast.
Plus it is a great recipe to help you use up you Thanksgiving leftover or Christmas leftover mashed sweet potatoes and chocolate. Although I suspect left over chocolate is a made up thing.
So I make these a lot, like seriously a lot. Because I am a waffle fanatic. And because my kids loooooooove waffles and want to eat them everyday. And of course, the sweet potato adds some extra vegetable goodness to these waffles. Plus there is all that chocolate….
It is something the whole family will love.
Why You Will Love These Sweet Potato Waffles
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd
- They are made from every day ingredients.
- It is highly customisable see suggestions below.
- It is easy to make ahead the batter and cook up when needed.
- Great for using leftover mashed sweet potatoes.
Ready to learn just how easy it is to cook Sweet Potato Waffles? Then gather up your ingredients and let me show you…..
How to Make Sweet Potato Waffles With Chocolate Chip
Seriously, it is a piece of cake (or a piece of waffle).
Preheat your waffle maker.
Whisk together milk, butter, eggs, chocolate chips, molasses and cinnamon and set aside.
Add flour into a large bowl and make a hole in the centre.
Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the flour to make a batter and don’t worry if there are some lumps.
The stir in the sweet potato puree till mixed.
Cook waffles according to your machine’s instructions until all the sweet potato waffle mix batter is finished
Repeat until all the mixture is finished. Job done
Total mixing time – less than 10 minutes.
Sweet Potato Waffles Tips
- If you don’t have any leftover mashed sweet potato then feel free to use pumpkin puree instead.
- It is OK for there to be a few lumps in the waffle batter, don’t overmix the batter to try and get rid of lumps.
- Do not open the waffle make half way through cooking at the risk of breaking the waffles.
- Do lightly oil or spray the waffle maker before cooking the waffles so that they slide out easy after cooking.
Sweet Potato Variations
One of the best things about this sweet potato waffles recipe is that it is so easy to customize! You can change up the seasonings, add different spices to get a totally different flavor profile. Here are just a few ideas;
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Ground ginger
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Grated coconut
Halloween Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Waffles
And the great thing with waffles is you can decorate them. Check these ones out. Cool spooky decorations, right?
You can use strawberry or other fruits like grapes rounds or white chocolate chips for eye, and if you want to decorate the eyes that one step more then use tiny dark chocolate chips to build the eyes. Mini marshmallows work well for teeth as does a zig Zag drizzle of melted white chocolate.
Seriously good fun decorating them too. And I have a confession – it was me who did this one. You didn’t expect me to let the children have all the fun do you? Sometimes (this shows my age) “girls just wanna have fun”.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Waffles
To make gluten free Sweet Potato Waffles, simple swap the regular flour with your favourite gluten free flour and you are good to go.
Sweet Potato Waffles For Meal Prep
These waffles can be made ahead of time and frozen till needed
How To Freeze Sweet Potato Waffles
- Let the waffle cool down and then transfer into these very handy Ziploc freezer bags.
- Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags.
- Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer.
- Store your waffles in the freezer for 3 months.
How To Thaw Sweet Potato Waffles
- Remove from the freezer the night before needed and let it thaw in the fridge.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Waffles
You can serve these along with
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jam.
- Coconut Caramel Sauce.
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate.
- Mulled Pear Juice.
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken.
More Waffle Recipes
PS for more waffles why not check out these below.
Thank you for reading my Chocolate Chip Waffles recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thank you for reading Recipes From A Pantry, UK food blog.
Get The Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Waffle Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Chocolate chip sweet potato waffles! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Chocolate chip sweet potato waffles
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Whisk together milk, butter, eggs, chocolate chips, molasses and cinnamon and set aside.
- Add flour into a large bowl and make a hole in the centre.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the flour to make a batter and don't worry if there are some lumps.
- The stir in the sweet potato till mixed.
- Cook waffles according to your machine’s instructions until all the batter is finished
- Repeat until all the mixture is finished.
- Top or decorate with berries, chocolate chips and marshmallows.