I love making my own pizza dough. Especially with all that measuring out, mixing and kneading along with the minichefs. But sometimes, especially after a long hard day at work, I just need quick and easy. So the Sierra Leonean in me came up with this easy couscous pizza dough.
When I say easy, I really do mean easy. As in mix the couscous with some boiled water and let stand. Then add in an egg, some chopped herbs and cheese, spread out on a baking tray and bake for 15 mins. And pizza base ‘done done’ as we would say back home.
But wait why stop there. Now topped with the even easier sardine fillets, fresh cherry tomatoes and olives, and five minutes later – there is supper. Or add anything else instead – maybe some left over roasted vegetables or sweetcorn (Mum always makes sure there is some maize growing in our compound) – basically any comfort food that is quick and easy.
Here is how to make a couscous pizza base all topped with some sardines, tomatoes and olives. Easy peasey.
Sierra Leone flavours – is the spot on my blog where I share both traditional Sierra Leonean recipes and West African fusion recipes.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try An Easy Couscous Pizza Base with Sardines and Tomatoes - Sierra Leone Flavours! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
An Easy Couscous Pizza Base with Sardines and Tomatoes - Sierra Leone Flavours
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp finely chopped herbs
- 6 tbsp Parmesan
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 12 olives
- A handful of rocket (arugula) and shredded sorrel leaves to top.
- Heat oven to fan assisted 170C / 190C / 375F / gas 5.
- Measure couscous into a heatproof bowl, pour in the hot water, mix well and let stand for 10 mins.
- Stir in egg, herbs, Parmesan and salt until well combined.
- Transfer couscous pizza dough unto a lined baking tray, spread out and shape into a pizza using the back of a spoon.
- Bake pizza dough for about 15 mins until set and a little crispy on the edges.
- Remove pizza base from the oven and scatter on the mozzarella, and then the sardines, tomatoes and olives and bake for a further 7 mins.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with rocket and shredded sorrel leaves before eating.