This Herbed Cauliflower ‘Rice’ with Tahini Yoghurt is sooo easy to make and so tasty. Suitable for Gluten-Free diets.
I have been making cauliflower couscous and cauliflower rice recipes a lot recently.
It is cauliflower rice when the bits are larger (rice sized) or cauliflower couscous when smaller (AKA couscous size). Most of the time it falls somewhere between the two so the name depends on which I call it first. But for today it is cauliflower rice.
What I like about this is that it is quick, easy, gluten free and low on carbs. So whenever I over indulge, I fall back to eating this cauliflower rice for a few days with whatever left over’s I have in the fridge and everything is all right with the world again. Plus it hits a lot of the diets out there including the 5:2 diet, paleo diet and a low points side dish on the weightwatchers diet. This one has definitely put me in the good books of a lot of friends.
Before I share the cauliflower rice recipe here are a few tips for getting the best out of your final dish.
- My personal preference is to eat this rice with the ‘drier’ sauces so as not to end up with a liquid logged rice dish. Basically, don’t pour a casserole over it.
- You can steam the cauliflower rice with a little bit of water in the pot – But I prefer the drier taste of frying it which also removed the likelihood of ending up with ‘soggy’ rice. You can even fry it without the oil in a non stick frying pan.
- Cauliflower has a subtle flavour which means it carry other flavours very well. A quick easy way to add flavour to this is to squeeze on some lemon or orange juice.
Now go try this cauliflower rice yourself and enjoy every single mouthful.
This is my second post in a pantry staple spotlight on cauliflower. See this post on how to make cauliflower couscous.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Herbed Cauliflower Rice with Tahini Yoghurt! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Herbed Cauliflower Rice with Tahini Yoghurt
For the cauliflower rice:
- 1 kg (35oz) cauliflower dry and cut into chunks
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Ground black pepper
- A large handful of chopped coriander
- A large handful of chopped mint
For the tahini yoghurt sauce:
- 12 tbsp yoghurt
- 4 tsp light tahini
- 6 tbsp lemon
- Salt to taste
- Add cauliflower chunks into the food processor and process until they are rice sized.
- You might need to do this in 2 or 3 batches.
- Don't over process as you don't want the cauliflower to turn into puree.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan and add the cauliflower.
- Stir fry the cauliflower rice for a few mins until it cooks to your taste.
- You might need to do this in 2 batches adding more oil to the frying pan between each batch.
- I like when it starts to get slightly golden brown but still has a bit of crunch to it.
- Watch it carefully as the cauliflower can burn very quickly.
- Take the rice off the hob and stir in the herbs.
- Make the tahini sauce by mixing all the ingredients together and serve on the side for people to help themselves. You may need to add a tbsp of water if using thick strained yoghurt.
- This goes very well which some grilled fish or grilled summer vegetables.