So my daughter came home the other day and announced that:
- Her friend K had invited herself over for tea the following week
- K demanded that they (including little sis) put on in a ‘gymmastic’ show, that I had to watch, and loudly cheer after each and every bow
- Thirdly, I had to make a tuna pasta dish that was exactly like the one K’s mother makes for her every week.
Clearly, I had been told. And obviously, the play date was happening. So I had to make the tuna pasta bake. Except that I could not get hold of K’s mum when I went shopping. After a mild panic, I decided to go with the flow, throw some tuna, pasta, tomatoes and cheese into my shopping basket and to just blag it.
I was rather nervous as I whipped up two slightly different versions of the tuna pasta bake, ready for K’s taste test. Little kids are quite honest. I even took my time making them look all pretty. Only to get a text from K’s mum in the morning to say that say K had a cold so was sadly unable to come for the playdate. The best-laid plans and all that.
Freddy and I ate this one and I got a big thumbs up from him, so phew. Second tuna pasta bake is in the freezer, waiting for when K finally comes over to play.
Get The Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Tuna Pasta Bake! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Tuna Pasta Bake
- 300 g (10.5oz) pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 X 400g (28oz) chopped tomatoes
- 2 X 120g (8.4oz) of tuna drained
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Handful of basil leaves torn
- Handful of rocket chopped
- 150 g (5.3oz) of mozzarella cheese sliced
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, till almost almost done. You want the pasta al dente.
- Mix in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 20 mins.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the pasta, tuna, cherry tomatoes and basil and transfer into a casserole dish.
- Add the cheese one top and bake for 20 mins until the cheese in melted.