Staircases in grand houses make a pretty entertaining few hours for young children, don’t they?
All that running up and down them, trying to slide down head first, poking heads through railings, pulling funny faces at rather serious ancestors and shouting ‘mama yook me’ from the top of the stairs as they try to climb a rather expensive and antique looking piano. Luckily there are some very understanding people out there. And our rather fab fun day out was topped up with some lentil tacos when we got back home – bliss.
I love, love, love, love, love lentils and beans.
Ok, incase you did not get that I seriously loooooooooooooove lentils and beans.
Which might explain the five kilos and ten tins of beans, and the 10 kilos of different types of lentils I have in my pantry.
So we eat them a lot – in bean cakes and in black-eyed bean stews, in slow cooker lentil curries and lasagna’s. In pretty much everything. But this is our first ever taco recipe. Vegetarian tacos rock.
When I first suggested making lentil tacos to my (meat loving) OH, his exact response was – can’t we just have real tacos instead, with meat?
He hesitantly agreed to give it a go after my rather indignant ‘incase you do not realise I have been cooking for you for 10 years and you can pretty much tell that if it turns out crap then I will bin it’. Even mini chef threw in a daddy are you crazy look on my behalf.
He loooooooooved it. Which I really got after his third taco – and him gulping down the two leftover tacos the next day. Thank you Mexican cuisine.
Please head over to my friend Javelin Warrior who is hosting an online bake sale on Tuesday Feb 18th to raise money for his neice Harleigh’s chemotherapy and physical treatment. Every little bit can make a difference to her recovery. Happy bidding.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 150g (1 cup) dried lentils rinsed ( I used brown lentils)
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- Ground black pepper
- Chilli powder to taste
- 480-720ml (2-3 cups) vegetable stock to your preference
- Toppings such as shredded lettuce, cheese, coriander, lime, sour cream and salsa
- Heat the oil in a large enough pot and soften the onion and garlic for about 5 mins.
- Then add in all the remaining ingredients and mix well, bring to the boil and reduce to simmer until lentils are tender.
- Keep an eye on the liquid and add some more stock if necessary.
- Adjust seasoning and remove from heat.
- Serve lentils with the tacos and a variety of toppings.