When the team at Knorr contacted me and asked would you like to try their new flavour pot – oh and they would also send me a mystery hamper full of ingredients to use along with the pots – of course I said yes.
I must admit that I had never used these flavour pots before. But they sounded very convenient —- a range of five tasty, tiny pots that capture the flavour of fresh herbs and spices with a drop of oil which therefore retains their flavour and aroma.
So early one morning my mystery hamper arrived and it was full of ………..
Now the Sierra Leonean in me zoomed straight to the okra, whole coconut and garlic and curry stockpots. So the idea of a roasted okra and fish curry was born with a side of garlic kale. Especially since all I needed to do to get the coconut water for the curry base was to pass the entire coconut to OH…………..
The flavour pots come in 5 different flavours and are tasty, gluten free, suitable for vegetarians, very convenient for whipping up quick meals as well as a culinary masterpiece.
The flavour pots were very straight forward to use. Pretty much peel back the lid and empty the contents into the pot and stir. Extra pluses for not having to peel any garlic and for the fragrant smells as the contents were cooking. Then off course there was the really fantastic tasting curry with my youngest having 2 big helpings with a side of garlic kale….
Thanks to Knorr for sending me their stockpots, a hamper of food and some supermarket vouchers to create this meal. All opinions are my own.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Roast Okra and Fish Curry! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Roast Okra and Fish Curry
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 8 large okra pieces divided into half
For the Curry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp garlic flavour pot
- 1-2 tsp curry flavour pot
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cup) coconut water
- 2 medium whole mackerel descaled inside cleaned and cut into large chunks
For the garlic fried kale:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic flavour pot
- 2 large handful of chopped kale
Roast the Okra:
- Preheat oven to fan 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6.
- Mix all the ingredients together making sure the okra is well coated.
- Add the okra to a baking tray making sure the pieces are not touching each other.
- Bake for 20 mins (turn them once during baking).
Cook the curry:
- Heat the oil in a pot and the onion and soften for 5 mins.
- Then add in the ginger, garlic and curry paste and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the coconut water, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add in the mackerel chunks and simmer until they are cooked through max 10 mins
- Then add in the okra, adjust seasoning and remove the curry from the heat.
For the kale:
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add in the garlic paste and stir for 10 sec.
- Then add in the kale and some salt and stir fry for about 3 mins still kale softens but still has some bite.
- Serve the fish curry, along with some rice and the garlic kale on the side.