Welcome to the bestest new dish in town.
Yeap, that would be this ginger beer pulled pork recipe. The recipe that is so finger licking good that you can’t help but ignore everything else and have just one more bite. It is a great recipe for picnic season, lunch boxes, wowing supper guest with a ‘ginger beer what’ moment and any leftovers make a fah breakfast (a Sierra Leonean thing).
OK so ginger beer has got to be one of my favourite things ever. Whenever I go back to Sierra Leone it is one of the first things I ask for. Followed by fried plantains, one-pot beans and plantains and baked jollof rice. Seriously nothing beats an ice-cold glass of ginger beer after a rather long plane journey. Oh, and akara.
Freddy on the other hand is a mahoooooooosive fan of all things meat. I swear he suffers from withdrawal symptoms after 5 or so days of a meat free diet. Whenever I find him muttering to himself in the fridge, furiously digging round for our fridge staple of chorizo, I know I have to introduce some meat pretty sharpish into our meals.
Peeps, you see how this recipe came about right?
This is pretty much the first time I have cooked with ginger beer in this way. I was rather nervous as I really wanted it to work. There might have been some loud cheering and some so-called dancing around the kitchen to Ayo Jay’s The Vibe, when the ginger beer pulled pork came out awesome.
Plus, it smelled sooooo good too, you know the kind of smell that has your guests walking in, ignoring you and heading straight to the oven to see what’s up.
The recipe is made up of simple things. Mostly pantry staples that you don’t even think about. The pork is rubbed with coriander, paprika, all spice, and pepper before being cooked slowly in a ginger beer, vinegar and thyme sauce till it falls apart into tender face-plant worthy ribbons.
Stuffed full into freshly baked bread (gluten-free if guest have dietary need) – it is seriously, seriously, seriously good. Trust the food blogger in me.
Just so you know. I am totally in love with cooking with ginger beer. I have a plan to take over the world one cooking with ginger beer recipe at a time. First up it is this ginger beer pulled pork recipe. Next up, well watch this space…………..
Pulled Pork Recipes
Thank you for reading this ginger beer pulled pork recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, African recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Ginger Beer Pulled Pork! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Ginger Beer Pulled Pork
Ginger beer sauce:
- 330 ml 1.4 cups ginger beer
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 kg boneless pork shoulder
Rub for the pork:
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp sweet paprika
- 0.5 tsp all spice
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 0.25 tsp white pepper
- Preheat oven to fan-assisted 130C / 150C / 300F / gas 2.
- Mix the ginger beer, garlic puree, onion, vinegar, tomato puree and thyme in a casserole pot.
- Mix together the ingredients for the pork mix and rub all over the pork.
- Add the pork into the ginger beer sauce, cover and cook in the preheated oven for about 3.5 hrs or until the pork falls apart when shredded.
- Remove the pork from the liquid (don’t discard this), cover with foil and let stand for 15 mins before shredding.
- Heat the remaining liquid on a cooker and cook until the liquid has reduced in half.
- Mix in a thickened ginger beer sauce with the shredded pork to your taste and serve with lots of buns and coleslaw etc for people to serve themselves
Please pin me: