Hey peanut butter lover, come try this really easy to make slow cooker African Peanut Soup that the whole family will love. Great for meal prep, weeknight dinners and days when you need easy comfort food.
Suitable for gluten free diets.
This Slow Cooker African Peanut Soup (Granat Stew, Groundnut Stew, Senegalese Maafe) is so, so easy to make. Especially useful to know when you are about to have a craaaaaaaaazy day or two.
So, I have signed myself up for a throwing a birthday bash for 16 kids. Panic. What panic?? I was not panicking about what to do with 16 kids. Nope. I certainly did not spend 3 days madly scribbling down ideas of every single entertainment option.
Some of what I found was too long, too short, sounded boring, might be dangerous, too expensive, sounded plain old weird. All the thoughts I went through before finally booking a face painting and balloon modelling expert. Hopefully, the kiddoes are really going to have fun.
The food, decorations and music are already sorted. That bit I am all over and then some. Presents wrapped and goodie treats bags already filled. Defo all over that.
And yes, you know me. Supper that evening aka this Slow Cooker African Beef Peanut Stew can be made ahead of time so that the adults can kick back, relax and play a game or two.
Why Make Crockpot African Peanut Soup
I love making groundnut stew – as it is easy to make, most folks always have the ingredients to hand, it is nourishing, creamy, nutty and oh so finger licking good. It is also immensely adaptable with spices, citruses, vegetables, meat and a whole load of colour.
I think it is one of those dishes that folks learn to cook first and my go-to African recipe to teach friends.
How To Cook African Peanut Stew
- Step 1. Brown the meat on all sides in batches in a frying pan and add into the slow cooker.
- Step 2. Saute the onion and peppers and add into the slow cooker.
- Step 3. Stir in the peanut butter sauce, mix well and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Step 4. Check after 4 hrs, and if you need a little more time then cook for a further hour.
- Step 5. Adjust seasoning on Crockpot African Peanut Butter Stew then serve with some rice.
I have blended the base of this West African Peanut Stew version, as well as added in a whole heaping of chopped tomatoes, which is a departure from the norm. And it tastes a little different but really, really good. The beef is so tender and falls apart after hours in the slow cooker.
West African Peanut Butter Stew Tips
- You can make this vegan by using sweet potato or pumpkin instead of chicken.
- Feel free to add a little bit more peanut butter to your taste.
- You can use turkey or chicken instead of beef if you prefer.
And I have found that like with other stews, it tastes even better the next day. So, it is worth prepping a this a few days ahead of time if possible. Oh and you are definitely going to need a side helping of rice to mop up this slow cooker African peanut stew.
Can You Freeze African Peanut Stew?
Yeap. This African Peanut Stew recipe is a great meal prep solution. You can cook, freeze (either as a full meal or in individual servings) and then thaw and reheat when needed. Easy peasy!
For more African Recipes why not check these out:
West African Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew.
Beghrir (Baghrir) aka Moroccan Pancakes.
Mussels and King Prawn Rougaille.
More Peanut Butter Recipes
Get The Slow Cooker African Peanut Stew Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Slow Cooker African Peanut Stew! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Slow Cooker African Peanut Stew
- Peanut stew sauce
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 5 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 cm piece of peeled ginger
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- Scotch bonnet to your taste or other chilli
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 stock cube
- Everything else
- 2 tbsp peanut oil divided
- 450 g (1lb) beef cubed small
- 1 onion peeled and finely diced
- 2 red pepper bell, deseeded and finely diced
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan over medium heat and brown the meat on all sides in batches. Add the browned meat into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp. of oil to the frying pan and add the onion and peppers and cook for 5 mins until the onions are softened. Add the onion and pepper mix into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the peanut butter sauce, mix well and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Check after 4 hrs, and if you need a little more time then cook for a further hr.
- Adjust seasoning then serve with some rice
I was looking for a reliable writing service and came across customwritings.com discount from essaypromocodes.net. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the service they provided. The writers were highly knowledgeable and the customer service was very attentive. I definitely recommend using their services for anyone looking for quality writing service at an affordable price.
La calidad del ensayo fue excelente, lo que me ayudó a chicas escort San Miguel mejorar mis calificaciones.
I recently used the essay writer hire https://essaywriterhire.com/ service provided by this site, and I must say I am impressed. The process was easy and straightforward, and I received my essay within the deadline provided. The quality of the essay was excellent, and it helped me improve my grades. The writers were professional and followed my instructions meticulously. The customer support was responsive and helpful, addressing all my queries promptly. I highly recommend this service to fellow students who need reliable and high-quality essay writing assistance.
Hello. The website of RexSoft, a transportation software development and solutions company for the logistics industry, is well-designed and user-friendly. It provides a clear overview of the company’s services and products, along with case studies and success stories to showcase their expertise and impact in the field. The site is regularly updated with industry news and insights, making it a valuable resource for businesses seeking innovative logistics technology. Overall, I would highly recommend visiting the RexSoft site for anyone looking for reliable and innovative software solutions in the logistics industry.
what is considered “everything else” in the recipe???
I have never made peanut soup before so I’m not sure what “else” it would need.