Food spring is here.
Snowdrops have been and gone and the daffodils are out in force. As lovely as it is to be surround by a sea of yellow, my excitement at this moment is reserved for the wild garlic. Especially the patch I planted years ago which has now taken over the entire wood.
That means tons and tons of wild garlic pesto and wild garlic and chickpea curry.
And we have been lucky in the past week – having calm warm days when we can actually sit down outside. The sort of weather which makes you say “enough comfort food, I want a salad!”
And this lovely and fresh salad is just right. With the best of my own wild garlic and with a strong Japanese influence.
This noodle salad is healthy and packs a punch with the wild garlic, crunchy radishes and the nutty toasted sesame seeds. The light zesty lemon dressing really brings out the fresh flavours.
You could easily make this a kale salad if you don’t have any wild garlic.
It was serendipitous that just as I was about to test this noodle salad a box of the new Bart spice blends should land on my doorstep. These blends were created to bring us flavours from the ancient spice trail, such as harissa from Morocco, pilau from India and the one that immediately caught my eye shichimi togarashi from Japan.
So of course I had to add some shichimi togarashi (Chilli, sesame, orange zest, seaweed, coriander and ginger) to the noodle salad and it was divine.
I hope you try this wild garlic and sesame noodle salad and enjoy every mouthful.
Below are some other salad recipes you might like.
Submitted tohosted by Ren Behan.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Wild Garlic and Sesame Noodle Salad! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Wild Garlic and Sesame Noodle Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g (approx 4oz) Savoy cabbage shredded
- 100 g (approx 4oz) wild garlic shredded
- 1/2 tsp shichimi togarashi I used the Bart spice blend
- 400 g (approx 11oz) cooked rice noodles
- 6 radishes finely sliced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- sugar to taste
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped chilli
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the cabbage for a few minutes until it is soft.
- Add in the wild garlic and the shichimi togarashi and stir fry for a min or so till the wild garlic has wilted.
- Assemble the noodles, radishes and sesame seeds in a bowl and add in the cabbage and wild garlic mix.
- Whisk all the ingredients of the lemon dressing together and adjust seasoning.
- Add as much of the dressing as you like to the salad, toss and serve.