It is totally that time of the year.
When the blankets, the cosy warming fire, the happy fights about what movie to choose and the popcorn, all come out to play. Including this 3 ingredient healthy herb popcorn that is soooooooooooooo easy to make and share around (or not).
Just think of the gorgeous smell of melting coconut oil, then the sizzling as you add in the popcorn kernels, then the fun that you have listing to the popping corn all whilst trying to wait patiently for the end. Then you take the hot crispy popcorn off the heat, throw on some salt and dried thyme, toss it and dig right in….
Tip moment here, you can make the waiting even more fun by getting the children to sing as many verses of ‘down in the jungle where nobody goes’ at the top of their voices, whilst you count down. And when I say children, I erm totally mean the big children too :).
What, it is a really nice song and the elephant motions are fun……
Ok, ok, back to the healthy herb popcorn. This is one those snacks that you are absolutely allowed to have one, then two, then 3 whole bowls of. Face it, you are never going to overdose from popcorn and the fact that it is tasty and healthier to boot, means guilt free snacking at its best.
So really the only thing you have to feel guilty about is whether or not you insist on making everyone watch that most talked about vampire movie or the sappy chick flick for the third time. Team vampire here by the way, if you were wondering.
Here is how to make this vegan and gluten-free 3-ingredient healthy herb popcorn. Please do try it and if you do make it, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Thank you for reading my 3-ingredient healthy herb popcorn recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 115 g ½ cup of popping corn
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 0.5 tsp salt optional
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat.
- Then add 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn kernels in the pan and shake gently so that they lay in an even layer and cover.
- Once the kernels start popping, you should keep shaking the pan gently so that the kernels keep dropping back into the coconut oil and as many as possible pop. Try to leave the lid open a tiny bit as this helps to reduce the steam so you get nice crispy popcorn.
- Eventually the popping will slow down, at which point you can remove the pan from the heat and decant into a sharing bowl.
- Quickly add in the thyme and salt, toss to mix well and either all dive in at once, or decant into bowls and share out.
Please pin me: