I had a serious Homer Simpson ‘doh’ moment when I made this apple chicken tagine.
It was for a supper party I was hosting that evening. Chicken, onions and spices were simmering away in apple juice. Gorgeous smells wafted through the kitchen with Katy Perry singing away in background. Even mini chef stopped eating her butternut squash muffins to ask me what that smell was.
I leisurely threw in the almonds when the ‘doh’ moment occurred. I completely forgot to check if the guests had any nut allergies. This, from the girl whose best friend is completely allergic to nuts. So I check, and cross check and over check for allergies. Seriously.
I can’t even being to tell you the speed with which I texted said guests. Oh the relief when they said don’t worry – we love and eat everything.
It is lovely served with a lemony herby couscous.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Apple Chicken Tagine! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Apple Chicken Tagine
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Apple juice amount depends upon the size of the cooking pot
- 250 g ready-to-eat dried apricots
- 100 g almond flakes
- A large bunch of fresh mint chopped
- A large bunch of coriander cilantro chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in casserole pot and lightly brown the chicken pieces.
- Then add in the onions and garlic and sauté for about 4 mins.
- Mix in the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and paprika, and add in just enough apple juice to cover the meat.
- Bring mixture to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the chicken cooks evenly and doesn't dry out.
- Mix in the apricots and almonds, cover and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve topped with mint and coriander.