Baharat has been on my ‘to cook with more’ list for a very long time.
If you love Middle Eastern cuisine like I do you would have had some of this spice blend in your grilled meats, salads, couscous, rice, sauces and dips. The exact mix of the spice varies across different regions but my love for this spice is due to the fact that the blend typically included the three C’ that are foodgasm spices in my kitchen – cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Sweet, warming, fragrant and in perfect harmony.
Every now and then, no matter how good a cook you are you get a moment of magic in the kitchen that you just need to share with the world. For me it happened with this baharat sauce. The concept is simple. Mix the baharat with the other herbs, spices, lemon and olive oil. Then warm it for about a minute on medium heat to really release those flavours – and right there, in that pot, you create the magic.
I got this idea from my friend E’s who shared her herbed black-eyes pea salsa on her blog The Whinery over a year ago. The idea stuck with me and I have been meaning to make this since then. I finally got my hands on some really good baharat and the rest is history.
The baharat sauce certainly added a fantastic depth of flavour to this crunchy summer radish, peppers and chickpea salad whilst the lemon contrasted with the sweetness of the tomatoes and the subtleness of the chickpeas. We ate this salad with grilled fish and grilled courgettes.
Basically this is my take on it – this sauce is magic. I love it. I will make this in a million different ways, eat in a million other ways, for the rest of my life. Yes I LOVE it.
Can I get you to try it?
This is the third recipe in my pantry staple spotlight on salads. Please do check the other salad recipes out.
Baharat Spiced Summer Chickpea Salad
Baharat spiced salad dressing:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp baharat spice blend I used Bart's
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes optional
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
For the salad:
- 200 g cooked chickpeas
- 4 radishes chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- A handful mint leaves chopped
- A handful coriander cilantro chopped
- First make the baharat sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients together except the cumin seeds.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add in the cumin seeds and toast them until fragrant.
- Add in the baharat mix and stir for approximately 1 min and then remove from the heat and let cool. Try not to have a foodgasm at this moment as this smells soooooooo good.
- Now combine all the ingredients for the salad together and pour over the baharat sauce and mix till everything is coated in the sauce.
- Chill for a few hours so that the flavours really meld together.
- Stir again before serving.
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as mains.