I have a rather large bucket list of which having the most relaxing holiday in the Maldives is right near the top. In fact my Maldives dream is even more specific than you would think.
- It involves staying at a beach villa on stilts (preferably with some part of it having a glass bottom floor so I can stare dreamily at the fish swimming beneath me).
- Breakfast would be a long, lazy and fruit filled whilst listening to the waves.
- Then I would learn to dive, or swim or go fishing – different things on different days.
- After lunch I would spend afternoons lying in a hammock with my kindle and alternating between cool coconut water and cocktails.
- A leisurely evening stroll along the sand will end with super by candle light on the beach.
I may not yet have gone to Maldives but nothing is stopping me exploring it via the food. After a lot of drool worthy research, I figured that these coconut encrusted pineapple and fish kebabs served alongside a helping of mango salsa definitely captured the flavours of the Maldives for me. Fresh and crunchy, sweet, light with a hint of spice these fish kebabs will definitely feature in my candlelit beach supper.
And even better I was excited to be able to contribute my recipe to Kuoni’s online cookbook. I am honoured that my food will be featured alongside food from their other destinations such as Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Vietnam and Italy. More places to add to that bucket list then.
So for a taste of paradise try this coconut encrusted pineapple and fish kebabs with a fresh lime mango salsa – then pack your bags and head off to the Maldives for real with Kuoni. I might make it out there at the same time as you.
Coconut Encrusted Pineapple and Fish Kebabs with Mango Salsa
For the coconut, pineapple and fish kebabs:
- 8 wooden skewers
- 400 g (14oz) skinless fish chunks
- 150 g (5.3oz) pineapple chunks
- 150 ml (0.6 cup) coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
For the lime mango salsa:
- 2 mangos peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mild chilli
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- Soak the skewers for about 30 mins before use.
- Heat up the barbeque or grill.
- Combine the fish, pineapple, coconut milk, ginger powder, chilli flakes, minced garlic, lime juice and salt and let the kebab mix marinate for 10 mins.
- Thread the fish and pineapple chunks alternatively on to the skewers.
- Decant the desiccated coconut onto a plate and then roll each kebab so that the coconut sticks to the fish and pineapple chunks.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil on the kebabs and grill them for about 3 mins on each side or until the fish is cooked through.
- Whilst the kebabs are cooking, prepare the mango salsa by mixing all the ingredients together and add more lime juice if you desire.
- Serve the kebabs with a side of mango salsa and lime wedges.
Thank you for supporting the sponsors who help make Recipes From A Pantry happen.