So I got the baking bug recently and am carrying on with that by whipping up this awesome Semolina Cake with Figs. It was sooooooooo pretty that I just had to take it over to some friends for some tea and a catch-up.
Ok, OK, there miiiiiiiiiiight have been a teeeeeeeeeny little bit of showing off my cake skills. I seriously had to force myself to hand it over as I really could have eaten the whole thing. A big yes to tasty, moist yet crumbly Semolina Cake with yogurt.
All The Reasons To Love This Semolina Cake
- The semolina gives it that lively crumbly texture that is just so perfectly different.
- It has figs in it. Crumbly cake + figs = perfect cake.
- It is super easy to make, no mixing butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Nope, not in this cake.
- It keeps for a few days without becoming dry.
- You don’t really need syrup with this cake, the figs give it all the moisture you need.
- And this Semolina Cake needs MINIMAL DECORATION. Is that not just the best thing ever?
Seriously all you need to do is dust the top with some icing sugar and a few figs. Flowers purely optional but oh so pretty. My kind of cake.
How To Make Semolina Cake
- Step 1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Step 2. Mix the yoghurt and milk together.
- Step 3. Add the dry ingredients to the yoghurt mix followed by the melted butter and lemon juice.
- Step 4. Fold in the chopped figs and transfer the batter into the cake pan and bake
- Step 5. Let the Semolina cake cool for 10 minutes in the tin before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
How To Make Semolina Cake with Coconut
Simply add in a few tablespoons of grated coconut and some coconut extract.
How To Make Orange Semolina Cake
Head over to this Orange Semolina Cake Post for a variation.
What To Serve With Semolina Cake
More Cake Recipes
If you are in a baking mood you could even try this
Thank you for reading my Semolina Cake recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Get The Semolina Cake Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Fig and semolina cake! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Fig and semolina cake
- 225 g (1 cup 2 tbsp) coarse ground semolina
- 200 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 250 g (1 cup) Greek yogurt
- 180 ml (0.75 cup) milk
- 180 ml (0.75 cup) melted butter, cooled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 figs divided – 6 chopped up for the cake , 2 halved for decorating the cake
- Semolina Cake
- Preheat oven to fan-assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4 and line and grease a 23cm / 9 inch cake tin.
- Mix semolina, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt in a bowl.
- Add the yogurt and milk in large bowl and mix until combined.
- Mix in dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter and lemon juice.
- Fold in the chopped figs and transfer the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake cake until golden brown and firm, 55–65 mins.
- Let the cake cool for 10 mins in the tin before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar and decorate with some figs and flowers.
What To Serve With Semolina Cake
More Cake RecipesIf you are in a baking mood you could even try this Lemon Blueberry cake With A Blueberry Glaze berry, orange blossom and elderflower cake with mascarpone whipped cream. Upside Down Fig Cake.