I think I need to explain what led me to this Rhubarb Mojito – I have just ordered one of those barrel barbeques complete with a cool side barrel smoker. I have been wanting one for a loooooooooooooooooong time. As in at least 2 years.
What this means is that spring and summer are going to be filled with numerous catch ups over food filled barbeques with family, friends and friends of friends (an African thing) from near and far. And I am going to enjoy every single one of these gathering. Fun – here we come.
But barbeques also mean drinks – you know those cool cocktails that are good for bonding over, right? Especially as sometimes barbeques take a while to fire up and so drinks need to be on hand as guests turn up.
To start things off I turned to one of the classic cocktails – aka the mojito. But me being me, I could not just stick to the original version. I needed to add in that little twist in the form of some Rhubarb Syrup. So, my Rhubarb Mojito was born. I love the sweet and sourness the Rhubarb Syrup.
How To Make Rhubarb Mojito
Step 1. Combine the mint, rhubarb, lime juice and sugar syrup in a glass and crush the mint leaves as you mix.
Step 2. Then stir in the rum.
Step 3. Top with some ice and soda water, garnish and serve.
How To Make Rhubarb Syrup
This Rhubarb Mojito is all things warm weather, outdoors, barbeques, parties and holidays. And as the rhubarb syrup makes enough for a gazillion cocktails you can easily whip up enough Rhubarb Mojitos to feed a crowd. Just the drink, right?
Ps if you like mojitos then why not try these mojitos below
Please enjoy drinks sensibly. The NHS recommendation is that you do not regularly exceed 3-4 units for men and 2-3 units for women a day.
Thank you for reading my Rhubarb Mojito recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Here is how to make these Rhubarb Mojitos. Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
- Small handful of mint leaves
- Juice from 1 lime
- 60 ml (0.25 cup) rhubarb syrup
- 60 ml (0.25 cup) white rum, I used Captain Morgan White Rum
- Soda water to taste
- Mint leaves
- Lime slices
- Rhubarb slices
- 150 g (5.3 oz) sliced rhubarb
- 150 g (0.75 cup) sugar
- 180 ml (0.75 cup) water
- Combine the mint, lime juice and rhubarb syrup in a glass and crush the mint leaves as you mix.
- Then stir in the rum.
- Top with some ice and soda water before garnishing with mint, lime slices and rhubarb.
- Make the syrup by combining the rhubarb, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat till the sugar is dissolved. Then simmer away covered for 20 min until the rhubarb is soft.
- Then let the syrup cool before straining out the rhubarb and storing the syrup in clean jar in the fridge or using at once.