This simple Rocky Road is the perfect make-ahead Easter dessert packed full of favourites like chocolate, chocolate fingers, mini eggs, marshmallows, and Haribo. Learn how to make these Rocky Road Bars so they can become the perfect (easy) show-stopping dessert.
Sooooo who is ready for a wonderful Easter? Especially one filled with really easy recipes like this classic and easy Rocky road that kids, big and small 😉 love.
So lets have fun and make this Easy Rocky Road Candy and other awesome treats (see below and you’re welcome). On Easter, we make Easter desserts, preferably with chocolate (I raise you some chocolate hummus) because an Easter without chocolate is no Easter at all.
Related recipe : Peanut Butter Banana Brownies.
This dessert is rather special because it is much easier than regular dessert. And we all love easy desserts, right? So thumbs up for this no-bake Rocky Road that I see you making at least two times before Easter — erm to ‘test’ it, of course)…
Why You Will Love it
- It is easy to make – with a few everyday affordable store cupboard staples.
- It is super quick to whip up – it comes together in a few minutes of effort.
- Prep ahead ease – prep ahead and pull out when needed.
- All year round dessert – everyone loves this for birthdays, potlucks.
- Highly adaptable – see a few suggestions below.
- Gets kids cooking – this get the kids cooking with no fuss whatsoever.
What is Rocky Road
Whilst anyone can make Rocky Road very easily, it is great for getting the whole family involved in cooking as adults big and small would have fun breaking up the biscuits and mini eggs whilst sneakily eat a chocolate finger and a marshmallow or three.
There are only 7 ingredients in this fun colourful classic Rocky Road candy, most of them are fridge or pantry staples.
- dark chocolate
- golden syrup
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate fingers
- mini Easter eggs
How To Make Rocky Road
Now the fun begins (and full recipe is available in the recipe card below)…
- Step 1. Grab a heatproof bowl and melt the chocolate along with the butter and syrup over some simmering water.
- Step 2. Let the chocolate mixture cool for a few mins before adding in the rest of the ingredient and mixing well. See properly easy right?
- Step 3. Pour the Rocky Road minx into a lined baking tray or silicon tray and spread the mixture out to the corners.
- Step 4. Refrigerate for 2 hrs minimum or overnight and then cut into squares before serving.
The question is – will you be able to wait for the full 2 hrs? I never can…
Rocky Road Bars Tips
- Do keep the rocky road bars refrigerated when not eating it, otherwise they melt.
- These are rich so please do cut them in small squares.
- If you are making this when no mini eggs are available, then just add in extra chocolate fingers.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows then just chop up some bigger ones.
- Feel free to use salted butter instead if you want a hint to salt.
Rocky Road Candy Variations
This recipe is awesome as is but feel free to add other ingredients to your taste like
- peanut butter
- nuts – pecans, walnuts
Rocky Road Ice Cream
I have a simple cheat way of making rocky road ice cream. I chop up the leftover rocky road and add it to store-bought vanilla ice cream. easy peasy.
How Long Does This Last?
What a question, never more than 3 days in our house. However, you can keep it in and airtight container for 7 days in your refrigerator.
Can Rocky Road Be Frozen?
Yes, it can.
- Let the it cool and add a piece baking parchment between each layer of bars so they don’t stick together.
- Place in a Ziploc bag or meal prep container.
- Press the excess air out of the bags before sealing and label them with the date.
- Place the bags flat in the freezer to store for up to 3 months.
- Remove from the freezer the night before needed and let them thaw in the fridge..
More Easter Recipes
For more Easter recipe ideas, try my:
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies.
- Chocolate Hummus.
- Instant Pot Brownies.
- Crème Egg Nutella Cake With A Nutella Frosting
- Lemon Lavender Bundt Cake.)
- Easy Hot Cross Buns with Mango and Coconut.
- Hazelnut Easter Egg Cake.
- Creme Egg Brownies.
Thank you for reading my Rocky Road Candy recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Get The Easy Rocky Road Recipe:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Rocky Road Cake! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Rocky Road Cake
- 2 cups (350g) Bournville Chocolate
- 2/3 cup (150g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) corn syrup or golden syrup
- 3/4 cup (140g) chopped chocolate fingers
- 1/2 cup (100g) Haribo
- 3/4 cup (90g) chopped mini eggs
- 3/4 cup (90g) mini marshmallows
- Add the Bourneville, butter, and syrup into a heatproof bowl over some simmering water and let the ingredients melt whilst frequently stirring them.
- When melted, let the chocolate mixture cool for a few mins before adding in the chocolate fingers, Haribo, Mini chocolate eggs and marshmallows and mixing until everything is well coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a lined baking tray and spread the mixture out to the corners.
- Refrigerate the rocky road cake for 2 hrs minimum or overnight and then cut into squares before serving.