These baked orange doughnuts with cinnamon sugar started out as completely different recipe. They were going to be some sort of, possibly complex, baked Nutella swirl doughnut.
So I made up the buttermilk, got all the ingredients ready and whacked the Nutella in the microwave to get it oooey gooey melty swilling perfect. Folks, I was organised. And then I made the mistake of dipping a teaspoon into the Nutella, Then a second one, then a third. And before I knew it, the Nutella was ALL gone. Greedy happy me.
Folks, I am not ashamed to say that I did have a ‘oh crap what have I done’ 5 mins of panic. Which was swiftly replaced by a ‘I have got doughnut ingredients out so I WILL make doughnuts’ hyper phase. Which was obviously followed by a mad rush through the pantry to find ingredients to replace the nutella doughnut idea.
In the middle of my escalating self-induced panic, I spot the one and only remaining orange at the bottom of the fruit bowl. Folks, I actually shouted out hallelujah in my excitement.
So baked orange doughnuts it was and they are as simple as it sounds, aka add some lovely orange zest to my standard baked doughnut recipe and cover them in some cinnamon sugar. To be honest you can do without the cinnamon sugar (my oldest prefers this) but it does add something rather special to the doughnuts (my youngest prefers).
Here is how to make baked cinnamon sugar orange doughnuts. So dunkable in coffee, tea or eaten straight.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Baked orange doughnuts with cinnamon sugar! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Baked orange doughnuts with cinnamon sugar
- 140 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 70 g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter cooled
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 0.25 tsp orange zest
- For the cinnamon sugar
- 125 g (4.4oz) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 75 g (2.6oz) melted butter
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4 and lightly oil two 6 cup doughnut tins.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, orange juice and orange zest.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just combined.
- Using a spoon, add the batter in to 8 doughnut cups until they are three quarters full.
- Bake the doughnuts for 13-15 mins until a toothpick comes out clean, remove them from the oven and let them cool in the pan before transferring them to wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Dip the donuts in the melted butter, let the excess butter drip off before dipping in the cinnamon sugar till they are well coated.