In the perfect lunch world, there are only a few things better than cardamom and lemon together like in these fluffy and fragrant Lemon Scones with Cardamom. Don’t just take my word for it (although actually you should), try it yourself and see.
It’s the “go-to” scones recipe you have been waiting for and the “quick and easy” treat your guests will drool over. Use whichever kind of lemons you have, add a bit more lemon juice if you prefer and you can also try them with some additional orange zest.
How to Make Lemon Scones with Cardamom
As you can see from the below these Lemon Scones are pretty easy to whip up and do not need any special equipment. Luxury results, non-luxury effort.
Step 1. Mix together flour, sugar and salt, add to your food processor, add butter and whizz into a breadcrumb consistency.
Chef’s Tip: I used white self-raising, just because it makes the scones fluffier but you can make these with half white and half wholemeal flour, although the scones may not be as light.
Step 2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, lemon and ground cardamom.
Step 3. Make a well in the centre, pour in the milk and mix into a dough and knead for a min.
Step 4. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface, pat till it is about 2cm thick.
Step 5. Cut out 6cm rounds using a pastry cutter. Reform the trimming and cut out a few more.
Chef’s Tip: If you don’t have a pastry cutter then simply use a glass.
Step 6. Place the scones onto a lightly flowered baking tray, brush them with some milk and bake.
Chef’s Tip: To refresh your day-old scones, simply warm them in a preheated oven for about 10 mins.
Lemon Scone Variations
Can you make a variation of these Lemon Scones? The answer is yes. These scones are pretty flexible and you can add other spices or fruit to your taste. I give you a few ideas below.
Lemon Buttermilk Scones
To make these lemon buttermilk scones, simply substitute the milk for buttermilk and enjoy.
Blueberry Lemon Scones
Blueberry Lemon Scones are really really awesome, and all you would need to do to make these is to skip the cardamom and add in about 100g (0.5 cup) blueberries at step 2 of the recipe.
More Scones Recipes.
Why not also check out these 3 ingredient Lemonade Scones.
Thank you for reading my Lemon Scones with Cardamom Scones recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Lemon Scones with Cardamom! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Lemon Scones with Cardamom
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 50 g chilled unsalted butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 125 ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400C / gas 6.
- Mix together flour, sugar and salt and place in a food processor. Add in the cold butter and whizz until it reaches a breadcrumb consistency.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, lemon and ground cardamom. Make a well in the centre, pour in the milk and mix into a dough. Knead for a minute to combine all the ingredients.
- Then transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat out till the mixture is about 2cm thick. Cut out 6cm rounds using a pastry cutter. You might need to reform the trimming and cut out a few more.
- Place the scones onto a lightly flowered baking tray, brush them with some milk and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden.
- Serve with some clotted cream and jam.