Pumpkin season is slowly creeping upon us and I fully intend to throw myself into the pumpkin in this, pumpkin in that and pumpkin in EVERY SINGLE THING madness that comes with it. Starting with this Slow Cooker Bread Pudding with lots and lots and lots of pumpkin in it. Are you with me?
To be honest pumpkin season never stops in my kitchen and I could and do make curried pumpkin soup a couple of times a month along with a gazillion other pumpkin recipes but with Fall comes the actual excuse to make a lot of new recipes. Plus, anything to use up leftover pumpkin puree is a win.
Plus, we all need easier slow cooker desserts in our lives and this one is seriously easy to make. Which puts it firmly in the great weeknight dessert/ideal make-ahead recipe / and one of the go-to crockpot desserts territory.
I say yes to a bowl full of sweet pumpkiny bread with lovey walnuts with syrup drizzled all over it.
Why This Is The Best Bread Pudding Recipe
Let’s talk why you NEED to make this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread Pudding. And I don’t say the word need lightly. It is because it is the best Bread Pudding Recipe EVER.
- It tastes amazing.
- It is a simple recipe made with everyday staples
- It takes just 5 mins of prep – yeap, 5 mins.
- Your slow cooker does all the hard work for you.
- The perfect dessert that works for breakfast too.
- It’s a crowd feeding stunner – simply double it and serve it up
- It is immensely adaptable – see more below
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread Tools
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
How To Make Slow Cooker Bread Pudding With Pumpkin
Step1. Lightly oil or spray the inside of your crockpot.
Step 2. Add the cubed bread and the pecans.
Step 3. In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla essence until combined.
Step 4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and mix using a spatula till the bread is well coated.
Step 5. Press the bread mix down to flatten it a bit and then cover the slow-cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hrs or until a skewer inserted in comes out clean.
Yeap, that is it.
Slow Cooker Apple Bread Pudding
Fancy making a slow cooker apple bread pudding instead? Well that is super easy to do. Swap the pumpkin puree for some apple puree and a few apple pieces and use cinnamon instead of pumpkin pie spice and you are good to go.
Crockpot Bread Pudding Tips
- If your bread is not stale simply cut it and bake at 180C / 350F for 5 mins and let cool before using.
- Walnuts work well instead of pecans.
- You can use mixed spice or cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg instead of pumpkin pie spice
- Add more sugar if you have a sweeter tooth.
- If you don’t have pumpkin puree you can use butternut squash or sweet potato puree instead.
How To Make Bread Pudding In The Oven
If you prefer to make this Pumpkin Bread pudding in the oven then you can. Here is how.
Step 1. Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 160C /180C / 350F / gas 4.
Step 2. Assemble the bread pudding in an oven dish.
Step 3. Bake in the preheated for 45 mins.
What Kind of Bread Is Best For Bread Pudding?
To make the best bread pudding recipe you will need the right type of bread.
You should use bread that is
- Firm – so that it soaks up the egg mixture and cooks without falling apart.
- A Whole loaf – as you want to be able to cut the cubes to the size you want (as if cut too small they may fall apart when cooked).
- Stale – as this helps it keep its shape during cooking.
The three breads I recommend as a great starting point are a French baguette (which is what this recipe uses), Brioche or a Challah loaf. Try all three and see which one you prefer.
What to Serve with Bread Pudding
That is the beauty of this recipe. You can serve it with all the sweet things you like, but here are a few suggestions to start you off.
More Crockpot Desserts
Here are a few more slow cooker desserts to satisfy the sweet tooth in you.
For More Pumpkin Recipes
Pumpkin lover I got your back with these easy pumpkin recipes.
Thank you for reading my Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread Pudding recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Get The Slow Cooker Bread Pudding With Pumpkin Recipe:
- 1 day old French loaf was 6 cups or 300 g
- 6 tbsp chopped pecans
- 15 oz (425g) tin of pumpkin puree
- 1.5 cup heavy cream double cream
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Lightly spray the inside of your 4 quart crockpot with cooking spray or lightly oil it
Add the cubed bread followed by the pecans.
In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla essence until combined.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread and mix using a spatula till the bread is well coated.
Press the bread mix down to flatten it a bit and then cover the slow-cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hrs or until a skewer inserted in comes out clean.