A Sunday breakfast treat in this house is sardines on freshly baked bread. Yeap, you heard that right.
And most recently it has been about this spicy sardine sandwich chockablock with some of my favourite treats
I absolutely loathed sardines when I was younger. I have been known to deliberately loose the key to the tinned food cupboard at my parent’s house to avoid having to eat sardines for just one week. Even better, I remember swapping food in school – my sardine sandwiches for some dumplings. Any dumplings would do.
Freddy had some sardine liking issues too. His stemmed from spending days camping in the jungle collecting termites, avoiding things that wanted to eat him alive and eating nothing but sardines with rice. With some chillies. I could quite see his point.
On a trip to Freetown a few years ago the option of eating sardines came up and I thought well why not. Freddy looked a bit queasy at the prospect but politely agreed to eat some too. So out came the thinly sliced onions marinated in olive oil, cayenne and lime. Then came the sardines sprinkled with more cayenne. Sides included freshly slices tomatoes, cucumber and mayonnaise. Some freshly baked baguettes completed this breakfast meal.
And would you know it we were hooked. Freddy requested this for breakfast for three days in a row. I only managed to change our breakfast menu by coming up with my other favourite ‘plantains and fish’.
We seem to have converted the mini chef who eats the sardines and onions off the bread, holds out the bread slice and pipes up ‘I want more, mama’.
So, when Breville asked me to come up with a sandwich recipe to try out their fabulous 3 Slice DuraCeramic (VST071) Sandwich Press, I wanted to create an African recipe aka this spicy sardine sandwich. Or rather mini chef demanded that we make her a sardine sandwich and I agreed. I know which side my bread is buttered on.
Lets just say this made everyone in our house very, very, happy.
Some reasons why the Breville 3 Slice DuraCeramic Sandwich Press is awesome:
- You can rustle up toasties, paninis, ciabattas, bagels and melts including sweet and savoury options. All you need is your sandwich ingredients and a few mins and you are good to go.
- It can cook up to 3 sandwiches at once – useful when cooking for a crowd.
- It comes with an exclusive DuraCeramic non-stick coating which means sandwiches a cooked up to 20% faster than other non-stick surfaces
- The DuraCeramic coating has been proven to be 4 x more durable than other non-stick coatings making for a long-lasting sandwich press.
- The plates are easy to wipe clean and PTFE and PFOA free, so is natural, family friendly and safe to use.
- Comes with a variable temperature control meaning toasted snacks exactly the way you like them.
- An awesome floating and locking hinge – meaning you can come open melts along with sandwich of various thickness. Customisation options galore.
- Modern and stylish look, so fits in well in any kitchen.
Do pop over to their website and find out more this sandwich press along with all the other fabulous gadget they have.
Check out this toasted spicy sardine recipe and let me know if I managed to convert you too. And if you do make it then please do tag me on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Ps the Team at Breville are giving one of you the chance to win this 3 Slice DuraCeramic (VST071) Sandwich Press rrp £48.
To be in with a chance of winning this, all you have to do is enter via the rafflecopter form below. You can even win extra entries by tweeting and sharing some of my recipes each day. This giveaway is open to UK entrants only and runs until Monday June 19th 2017. Good luck.
Please do check out my other giveaways. Including an £40 OXO spiralizer and a SoundPEATS portable bluetooth speaker P4 worth £60.
This post is sponsored by some really lovely folk. Thank you for supporting them, as they make it possible for me to continue dreaming up recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Opinions as always, are my own.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
(And for more sardine recipes – oh yes, there are more – try Sicilian Sardine and Fennel Pasta and Quick Cinnamon Butter Fried Rice With Grilled Sardines.)
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Spicy sardine sandwich! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Spicy sardine sandwich
- 3 tins of sardine fillets , drained and roughly mashed
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 small red bell pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- Chopped chilli to taste
- Squeeze of lime juice
- 4 Rolls
- Switch on the sandwich maker and adjust the temperature setting to medium-high
- Make the sardine filling by mixing together the sardines, mayonnaises, pepper, red onion, chilli and lemon juice.
- Split the sardine filling equally between the four rolls and then place the first three rolls on to the hot sandwich press.
- Adjust the hinge lid so that the top plate is just resting onto the bread and cook for 6-7 mins till crisp.
- Remove the cooked sandwiches and repeat for the final sandwich.
Please pin me:
dissertation search https://helpon-doctoral-dissertations.net/
dissertation writing memes https://help-with-dissertations.com/