I have an avocado buying regime. Yeap. And that is even before I think about making guacamole.
Every 2 weeks I buy about 12 firm avocadoes. Over the two weeks the avocadoes randomly ripen so there is always at least one ready when I need it. Then, I buy 12 more and start all over again. It is a big catastrophe if I ever run out of them. Am I sad?
I grew up with a large avocado tree in the middle of the yard. It was fab to eat toast and avocadoes for breakfast pretty much straight from the tree. Oh, I love avocadoes. It sounds like I am writing a love letter to avocadoes huh?
They are healthy, creamy and delicious and I am having such fun developing avocado recipes. But I do have one of my tried and tested recipes that I would love to share with you today – my guacamole aka yoghurtamole.
This is nice and easy to make and frankly the main ingredients of guacamole are ripe avocadoes and lemon juice and salt. But adding in the creamy yoghurt, tomatoes, coriander (cilantro), spring onions and mild chillies elevates it to something special. Play around with the ingredients in your store cupboard or fridge when making this and see what works for you. If making this for vegans please omit the yoghurt and you might want to leave the chillies out if making for children.
This homemade dip is best made just before serving with a whole load of crunchy vegetables, nachos and pita wedges. Or if you are like me, then just before adding to bacon sandwiches or huge juice burgers….
- 2 large ripe avocadoes
- ¼ mild chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small tomato deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Ground black pepper
- Cut avocadoes in half, remove the seeds and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash with a fork to the consistency that you want. I prefer it chunky.
- Add in all the other ingredients and mix them in well but try not to mash the avocado any more.
- Taste and adjust lemon and seasoning and serve straight away.