I am soooooooooo late to this party folks. I mean, what’s up with that. What excuse do I have for not making (and blogging about) my very own courgetti recipe?
It’s not like I did not have enough inspiration from Pinterest, Instagram and every social media platform you can think of. Heck, there was even a courgette noodle poster on the side of some bus the other day.
Plus, I actually have something like 8 courgette plants on the go every single year. I had all the inspiration I needed and the actual ingredients to hand. I seriously cannot think of a reason why I did not do this.
Well I have finally decided to play starting with this courgette with coconut milk and sundried tomatoes. Peeps it is ‘face in plate, licking up every last drop’ good.
But before I get to the recipe (yes I know you are all waiting), a little word about courgetti……….
What is Courgetti
Courgetti are basically courgette noodles (aka courgette spaghetti). So these are noodles made from courgettes and benefit from needed minimal cooking.
- The courgette noodles are low carb and so kinder on the waistline.
- It is gluten free, Paleo and suitable for vegans.
- Eating Courgetti is a great way to increase your daily vegetable intake.
- And man, you can spend hours making courgetti. Or is that just me?
How do you make Courgetti
- Aim for one medium courgette per person.
- Wash and trim the courgettes.
- The cut the courgette into noodles using a spiraliser, mandoline or a julienne peeler.
- You can also make courgetti without a spiralizer by hand using a sharp knife, but this takes a bit longer.
How to cook Courgetti
- All you need to do to cook the Courgetti, is blanch them in hot water for a min.
- Stir-fry courgette noodles for only a min so that they don’t overcook.
- You can eat raw Courgetti – which works well in salads or as a garnish.
I tend to make a big batch of the coconut and sundried tomato sauce and keep it in the fridge for a few days. Then simply throw in some noodles, couscous or Courgetti for a quick weeknight supper or lazy lunch.
What to eat Courgetti with
Basically, you can eat Courgetti with anything you normally eat pasta with. So you could serve these with some bolognese or tomato sauce, poached in some soup, replace the noodle in stir-fries with some other veg, baked into fritters, alongside some prawn curry, with some herb butter drizzled over them or just eaten raw in some salad. Try it yourself and see what you prefer.
Weight Watchers Points in Courgetti with Coconut Milk and Sundried Tomatoes
If you substitute the 1 tbsp oil used for frying with calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are 14 Freestyle points per serving.
Thank you for reading my courgetti recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for reading Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Original post Feb 2014, updated Jan 2018.
GET THE COURGETTI WITH COCONUT MILK AND SUNDRIED TOMATOES RECIPE:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Courgetti With Coconut Milk and Sundried Tomatoes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Courgetti With Coconut Milk and Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions chopped scallions
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Chilli to taste chopped
- 1 tsp thai red curry paste
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 400 ml (1.7 cup) coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp tamari soy sauce or to taste (use coconut aminos for Paleo diet)
- ¼ tsp sweetener of choice
- 100 g (3.5oz) sundried tomatoes chopped
- 4 medium courgettes
- Make the courgetti according to your spiraliser instructions. up the noodles and set aside.
- Boil the kettle, transfer courgetti into a heat proof bowl, cover them in boiling water and let stand for 2 mins.
- Drain the water and set the courgetti aside in a warm place.
Make the coconut sauce:
- Heat the oil and add in the spring onion, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir fry for 1 min.
- Mix in the curry paste and tomato puree and fry for 30 sec.
- Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, sweetener and mix well, bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add in sundried tomatoes and simmer again for about 3 mins until the sundried tomatoes are warmed through.
- Adjust and serve with the noodles.
What to eat Courgetti withBasically, you can eat Courgetti with anything you normally eat pasta with. So you could serve these with some bolognese or tomato sauce, poached in some soup, replace the noodle in stir-fries with some other veg, baked into fritters, alongside some prawn curry, with some herb butter drizzled over them or just eaten raw in some salad. Try it yourself and see what you prefer.
Weight Watchers Points in Courgetti with Coconut Milk and Sundried TomatoesIf you substitute the 1 tbsp oil used for frying with calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are 14 Freestyle points per serving.