This balsamic roasted berry smoothie has been whipped up pretty regularly in my kitchen recently. Put it this way, it going to be one of my main summer drinks of choice.
This balsamic roasted berry smoothie is awesome because:
- It is chock-a-block full of summer fruits aka raspberries, blackberries and red and black currants.
- Their flavours are richer and deeper because the berries are roasted till they are bubbling in their own almost caramelised juices.
- The berries are roasted with rich dark balsamic vinegar which really brings out their flavour.
- This treat is vegan so it is suitable for a wide range of guests.
- And guest will certainly agree with you especially when the smoothie is served in these extremely cute glasses.
It is cool and refreshing, sweet but tart with deeper fruity flavours, aka it has got everything you need in a summer flavoured smoothie. And you can quite easily make this into a smoothie bowl too and top with a little helping of granola and a tonne extra fruits. That way it becomes a much more filling breakfast or brunch treat.
Actually, talking about brunch, you can certainly serve this balsamic roasted berry smoothie along with waffle with a cherry sauce, orange and thyme waffle with a blue berry compote, semolina pancakes with maple and nutmeg roasted plantain and a fruit pancake pizza. So much choice.
This recipe is very flexible as well. Please do feel free to use any combination of berries that you have in your fridge. One tip here is to roast the berries a couple of days before hand and keep them in the fridge. So, you can easily grab a handful and whip up this smoothie when you need it. Anything for an easier life.
Here is how to make these balsamic roasted berry smoothie. Please do try it and if you do make it, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Balsamic Roasted Berry Smoothie (Vegan)! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Balsamic Roasted Berry Smoothie (Vegan)
- 450 g (1lb) mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, currants)
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup + extra to taste
- 6 bananas peeled
- 300 ml (1.3 cup) cold orange juice
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 180 C / 200 C / gas 6. (400F)
- Mix the berries with the balsamic vinegar and the 2 tbsp of maple syrup and transfer into a ceramic baking dish. Use a small dish so that the berries roast in their liquid (otherwise the liquid might evaporate).
- Roast for about 20 minutes, turning half way through, until the juices are bubbling and the berries start to turn darker.
- Then remove the berries from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cool, transfer the roasted berries and their juices along with all the other ingredients, including extra maple syrup if desired, into a blender and whizz until well combined.
- Serve immediately.
Please pin me: