Brussels sprouts get a bad rap. The consistently find themselves at the top of the list of top 5 most hated vegetables. But happily, the mini chefs (and Freddy when he is in a veg mood) find them to be amaaaazingly tasty.
And I give Brussels sprouts major bonus points because they are amazingly good for you, too. A win-win for all food lovers. Once you try this easy peasy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts recipe, I know you will agree. YES you can totally cook Brussels sprouts in the Instant Pot – awesome right?
These mini cabbages are both quite adorable and super versatile. The most common cooking method is to roast them, but they can also be eaten raw and make the best addition to coleslaw and salads. You can also steam or sauté them, which is exactly how it is done in this Brussel Sprouts Instant Pot recipe.
Why You Will Love Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts
What makes cooking them in the Instant Pot so great is that it works equally well whether you use fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts. That’s right….frozen! But don’t worry folks, these are not the mushy, overcooked grey-hued sprouts you may remember from your childhood.
Since I wanted this recipe to be low-carb and Weight Watchers friendly, I chose to incorporate ingredients that pack a lot of flavour like apple cider vinegar, tamari sauce and sun-dried tomatoes.
The ACV and tamari sauce not only provide a bright acidity to the dish, but they help to caramelize the sprouts during the sauté process, which adds such delicious crispiness to the outer leaves.
Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts Materials
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
Ready to learn how to make Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts? Let me show you just how easy it is, and get ready to fall in love…..
How to Make Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts Step by Step
How Long To Steam Brussel Sprouts?
Steaming brussel sprouts in your pressure cooker is really rather easy as you will see below. How long you do it for depends entirely if you use fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts and how firm or soft you like them cooked. My best advice is to start with the timing I give below and see. Then you could always add on more time to your preference.
OK, let’s find out a little bit more about how to steam Brussels sprouts.
Fresh Brussels Sprouts In the Instant Pot
- Step 1. Add the oil to the Instant Pot insert and select sauté, and leave until the Instant Pot reads hot.
- Step 2. Then switch off the sauté mode and add the Brussels sprouts, stir and let cook in the residual heat for a couple of minutes (yes you dont need the steamer basket for this recipe).
- Step 3. Add the vinegar and tamari sauce, stir and cover the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, select manual, high pressure and set cook for 3 mins.
- Step 4. Then perform a quick release, stir in the chopped sun-dried tomato and serve your Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts.
If 3 mins is not enough the first time, cook for 4 min when you make brussels sprouts again – as this depends on the size of sprouts.
For Frozen Brussels Sprouts In The Instant Pot:
- Frozen Brussels sprouts are already soft, so set the cook time for 0 mins (yes, 0!) and then perform a quick release.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix and serve your Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts.
I first tried setting the cook time for 1 min and QPR, but they were too soft.
Steamed Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts In A Steamer Basket
You can actually steam your brussels sprouts in a steamer basket if you prefer. Just add water to the Instant Pot insert, add the sprouts in a steamer basket in the insert and cook as normal.
Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts Tips
- No need to core Brussels sprouts. Simply cut the stem end flat, and remove any discolored leaves.
- But do trim and cut them in half so that they cook perfectly.
- Swap dried cranberries and chopped pecans for the sun-dried tomatoes.
- If not vegan, try cooking your brussel sprouts with bacon.
- Add in butter if not vegan.
- Green onions and chili also work well in this recipe.
- Cook time notes does not include time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure or for the pressure to release.
Is it Brussel Sprouts or Brussels Sprouts?
Named after the capital city of Belgium, this cute green orb is correctly referred to as a Brussels Sprout. Interestingly enough, a common mistake is to drop the ‘s’ and refer to them as brussel sprouts. But either way, I just like to call them delicious!
Can You Use Frozen Brussels Sprouts in the Instant Pot?
Yes – if using frozen Brussels sprouts, thaw in the fridge before cooking. The trick for using thawed frozen Brussels sprouts is setting the cooking time for 0 minutes (yeap, 0!) and performing a quick pressure release to make sure they don’t turn out too soft.
Are Pressure Cooker Brussels Sprouts Good For You?
Yeap, very. Brussels sprouts are part of the cruciferous vegetable family, a particularly healthy group of vegetables that is rich in powerful phytochemicals, which scientists believe may help protect against cancer.
Brussels sprouts are quite high in protein compared to other green vegetables, making them an excellent choice for those following a vegetarian or vegan diet. Just one serving of these little green powerhouses meets the daily requirements for both vitamin C and vitamin K.
And making this Instant Pot Brussels sprout recipe makes it easy to take in all of this healthy goodness. So go ahead and cook your brussels sprouts in your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts Recipe for the Holidays
Brussels sprouts are at their peak and harvested during the late fall and into the winter. In fact, they are considered to be sweetest after a frost has occurred, which makes this Brussels sprouts recipe the perfect accompaniment for your Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday meals. (And you folks know how much I loooooove Christmas.)
The beautiful red of the sun-dried tomatoes combines with the bright green sprouts to bring some festive holiday color to your table. I think a light and healthy side dish that also happens to be exceptionally tasty is such a welcome balance to all the rich and decadent holiday foods.
And not only is this pressure cooker Brussels sprouts recipe quick and easy, it doesn’t require any precious stovetop or oven space, which is a never-ending battle in my kitchen during the holiday season.
Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Calling all carnivores: try cooking Brussel sprouts with bacon (or pancetta) for an amazing 2-ingredient dish with tons of flavor. In fact, Brussel sprouts with bacon is my meat-loving OH’s favorite side dish. Yeap, it really is that good!
Reheating Pressure Cooker Brussel Sprouts
This Keto Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts recipe is a great make-ahead dish. Whip up a couple of batches and set aside. To warm up, you simply reheat in the microwave – the fastest way. But if you prefer you can reheat using your instant pot sauté function or the stovetop.
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts Serving Suggestions
Wondering what to serve with these vegan Brussels sprouts??? Why not get a jump on your holiday meal planning with this holiday menu suggestion:
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken (gluten-free, low carb, paleo).
- Instant Pot Chicken Breast (gluten-free).
- Air Fryer Steak (keto, low carb, gluten-free).
- Curried Vegan Pumpkin Soup (gluten-free, vegan)
- Garlic Green Beans (gluten-free and vegan, low carb, paleo).
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Brownies to end the meal (vegan).
==>And speaking of meal planning, make sure to grab your copy of this awesome Free Meal Planning Kit that will help you whip up all sorts of great tasting recipes!!
More Awesome Brussel Sprouts Recipes
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts Video
I have got you the perfect recipe if you prefer to make Crisper Air Fryer Brussel sprouts instead.
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts Weight Watchers Points
A serving of low carb Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts contains only 1 Freestyle point.
Other Ways To Cook Brussels Sprouts
These little veggies are super awesome when roasted, streamed, air fried or shredded in a salad or slaw. And don’t forget the winning combination of cooking brussel sprouts with bacon that I mentioned earlier. #yum!
Thank you for reading my Brussel Sprouts Instant Pot recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Get the Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts Recipe:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts
Instant Pot Brussel Sprout
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot insert and select sauté, and leave until the Instant Pot reads hot.
- Then switch off the sauté mode and add the Brussels sprouts, stir and let cook in the residual heat for a couple of min.
- Add the vinegar and tamari sauce, stir and cover the Instant Pot, turn valve to sealing, select manual, high pressure and set cook for 3 mins.
- Then perform a quick release, stir in the chopped sun dried tomato and serve.
- If is 3 mins is not enough the first time, cook for 4 min the next time you cook Brussles Sprouts - as this depends on the size of sprouts.
For frozen Brussels sprouts:
- Frozen Brussels sprouts are already soft, so set the cook time for 0 mins (yes, 0!) and then perform a quick release. I first tried setting the cook time for 1 min and QPR, but they were too soft.
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts Tips
- No need to core Brussels sprouts. Simply cut the stem end flat, and remove any discoloured leaves.
- Cook with bacon or pancetta if not vegan.
- Swap dried cranberries and chopped pecans for the sun-dried tomatoes.
- If using frozen Brussels sprouts, thaw in the fridge before cooking.