I don’t know about you, but during this time of year things are busier than ever at my house. Our days are brimming with school, work, appointments and various activities. So when we do all finally come together at suppertime I need to get a healthy, satisfying meal on the table. And quick.
I have discovered a secret weapon for hectic weekday meal prep. Pre-mixed packs of pulses and vegetables from Birds Eye that are ready to cook straight from frozen in just 4 minutes. And folks, let me tell you they are a total game changer.
Just last week we had one of those crazy busy days. After dashing from work meetings to pick up the kiddoes and take them to lessons, we arrived back home hungry and in need of some proper nutrition. I grabbed a bag of Birds Eye Chickpea and Spinach Mix from the freezer, my trusty chopped tomatoes and supper was ready in no time.
This vegan tomato soup is warming, chunky and just what autumnal soups should be like. The Balsamic vinegar gives it such a great depth of flavour too. There is nothing better than a humble soup with a few simple ingredients that allow the veggies to really shine through. And it all comes together so easily.
I am happy to report that Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach was a big hit with my mini chefs (they ate every last bite). And it was a hit with me, since Birds Eye Pulses are a super nutritious source of protein and high in fibre. I really love how they are an easy way for us to get one of our five a day.
Are you ready to learn how to make this Easy Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach? Then grab your pack of Birds Eye Pulses and let’s get started…
How To Make Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach Step By Step
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the spring onions and fry for 1 mins.
- Then stir in garlic, followed by chopped tomatoes, stock, balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer away for 15 mins.
- Stir in the frozen veggies and bring back up to a boil.
- Then reduce heat to a rolling simmer for 20 mins until chickpeas are cooked.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
Chef’s Tip: Using frozen veggies in dishes like soup, stews and curries is a great time saver. They stay perfectly fresh stocked in your freezer and are always available when you need them.
Tips for Making Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
- Feel free to change up the flavour by adding herbs like basil and oregano or a pinch of chilli flakes for a little heat.
- Add more liquid if you like a thinner soup consistency.
- Or for an even thicker soup, lightly mash some of the chickpeas before serving.
- This soup is a great meal prep solution as it can be frozen and reheated easily (more on this in the meal prep section below).
Why You’ll Love Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
Forget the lengthy process of soaking dried pulses. Don’t bother hassling with tinned beans. Cooking with Birds Eye Pulses is so convenient because the packs allow you to use just the amount you need. This means there is far less waste compared to using tinned beans.
And since they can be poured straight from the bag right into my soup pot, I am spending waaaaay less time on food prep but still serving up flavourful healthy meals that my family loves. Talk about a win-win.
Speaking of meal prep, this soup is a perfect make-ahead solution. Double the recipe and divide into separate portions to freeze and reheat as needed. Just follow these instructions for total meal prep success:
How To Freeze Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
- Let the tomato soup cool down then transfer into freezer bags.
- Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags.
- Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer.
- Store the tomato soup in the freezer for 3 months.
How To Thaw Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
- Remove the tomato soup from the freezer the night before needed and let it thaw in the fridge.
- For a faster thaw, you can place the soup into a microwave and thaw according to the microwave’s instructions.
How To Reheat Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
- Transfer the thawed tomato soup into a microwave-safe container and reheat in a microwave according to instructions.
- Or transfer the thawed soup into a saucepan and reheat on the stovetop over low to medium heat.
More Ways to Use Birds Eye Pulses
My freezers (yeap, I have more than one) are now filled with bags of Birds Eye Pulses. And with 3 varieties to choose from, making all sorts of delicious dishes is easier than ever.
I love using the Chickpea and Spinach Mix to whip up bold curries and savoury soups like this vegan tomato soup recipe. And I have made the most amaaaazing stew with the Italian 3 Bean Mix. The zesty Mexican Bean Mix is the perfect addition to lunchtime burrito bowls and hearty breakfast casseroles.
You can pick up these convenient and versatile packs of Birds Eye Pulses in the frozen aisle at larger Tesco & Asda stores and Ocado for £2.00.
Weight Watchers Points in Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
There are just 4 Freestyle Points in one serving of this Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach.
What To Serve With Vegan Tomato Soup
Thank you for reading my Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Get The Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach Recipe:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Easy Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Easy Vegan Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Spinach
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 spring onions (scallions) sliced
- 1 tsp garlic purée
- 800 g (2x 400g) tins chopped tomatoes (2x 14 oz cans)
- 500 ml vegetable stock (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 450 g frozen Birds Eye Chickpeas and Spinach Mix
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Fry spring onions for 1 mins.
- Then stir in the garlic purée, followed by chopped tomatoes, stock, balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer away for 15 mins.
- Stir in the frozen veggies and bring back up to a boil.
- Then reduce to a rolling simmer for 20 mins until chickpeas are cooked.
- Adjust seasonings to suit your taste and serve.
- Change up the flavour by adding herbs like basil and oregano or a pinch of chilli flakes for a little heat.
- Add more liquid if you prefer a thinner soup consistency.
- For an even thicker soup, lightly mash some of the chickpeas before serving.
- This soup freezes and reheats easily so it is a great meal prep solution.