Crunchy Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is a new take on the comfort food classic you grew up with. Made only with pantry staples, you will love how crunchy the bread is and how you get perfectly melted cheese straight out of the air fryer.
Gluten-Free variation provided. Post includes Weight Watchers points.
Is there anything better than a crunchy, melty and buttery Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich served with bowl of Tomato Soup?
Just mentioning this classic comfort food combination gives me such warm and fuzzy feelings.
It takes me back to the dreary wet weekends of my childhood when I would be unhappily stuck indoors.
*****Please click here to grab the Beginners easy air fryer recipes ebook!!!*****
A delicious and simple recipe, this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese sandwich comes out sooooooooo crunchy on the outside. The air fryer works by using a high powered fan to “fry” your food.
With the air fryer, no one is getting a little soggy spot piece of bread that somehow the frying pan just didn’t touch. Every bite of your Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is crunchy-gooey-cheese-goodness.
If you like this recipe you might like Air Fryer Frozen Pierogies and this Air Fryer Frozen Garlic Bread. And I love serving this with really juicy Air Fryer Pork Chops.
An air fryer cheese sandwich provides a crispy, buttery outer layer with a melty cheese inner layer that creates the perfect cheesy sandwich without burning, over drying, or overcooking.
It’s so easy I even let my mini chefs make their own.
Why Make This Recipe
- It’s 3 simple ingredients. Yeap, bread, cheese and butter for coating. That’s it. My kids can handle this one with their eyes closed.
- You can add anything you want. Seriously add a gourmet cheese, adding Air Fryer Bacon and veggies and even add a little seasoning like paprika to the outside. All soooooooooooo good.
- It’s a super easy pantry meal. You probably have the 3 basic ingredients on hand but you can add any leftovers you have.
- Works For Gluten-Free Diets. I’ve tried this with Gluten-Free bread and you can still get the same delicious buttery crispy outer layer as you would with regular bread.
- bread – use your favorite sandwich bread,
- butter or cooking spray – I prefer using softened butter as this has more flavor.
- cheese – cheddar cheese is one of the best cheeses but you can go for a combination of cheese including American cheese like Monterey Jack. Use sliced or shredded cheese to your preference.
- optional – pear, very thinly slice would be best.
Ready to find out how easy making grilled cheese is? Then gather all your ingredients and lest get cooking.
How to Make Grilled Cheese In Air Fryer
Get complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, making sure all the bread is covered.
- Add the cheese and sliced pear. Fold the cheese slices in between the pieces of bread so that no cheese is sticking out past the bread slices.
- Place air fryer cheese sandwich to the air fryer basket and air fry for 8 minutes before flipping using tongs and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes on the second side till golden brown.
- Removed the Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich and serve warm.
- Serve your Airfryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich with soups, chutney or a salad.
- Fold the cheese slices in between the bread slices making sure all the cheese is inside the bread and not falling out of your fried grilled cheese sandwich.
- Do remember to keep the buttered side facing outwards when air frying.
- Feel free to add a little extra butter on the top slice after flipping.
- You can also use a light cooking spray in place of butter if calorie watching or on a WW diet.
- It’s possible your bread could “fly” up so be sure to use the rack your air fryer came with to prevent this from happening. Or use a toothpick to hold the sandwich together while it cooks. Remove the toothpick before serving.
- Don’t crowd the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches.
- Air fryer temperatures vary depending on the make and model. Use the cooking time listed as a guide, check your food for doneness, then adjust the time as needed.
Grilled cheese variations – This is such a versatile sandwich. Because you can use so many different types of cheeses that you may have on hand you can also add other things like
- Add meats – We looooooove adding bacon like this crispy air fryer bacon to our grilled cheese sandwiches. You can also add shredded chicken into your sandwich.
- Vary the fruit – This recipe calls for slices of sweet pear which in my opinion really elevates a classic GCS (grilled cheese sandwich). Use apple instead.
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese With Mayo – for a little extra creaminess. Simply add half to 1 tablespoon of mayo in your sandwich before you grill it.
- Add tomatoes or other veggies – these also make a great addition to a grilled cheese as well as pickles. I love slicing up a beautiful rainbow of peppers for our grilled cheeses. The kids love their colourful sandwiches.
Let’s talk about the bread for grilled cheese. Oh, the bread. Sweet carbs how we love you.
The most common bread would be white bread but different breads like Multigrain and Whole Wheat also work great, but you can use any bread you may have in your pantry. If you’re looking for something different try Sourdough, Pumpernickel or Rye.
I recommend checking on your grilled cheese in the air fryer about halfway through the first 8 minutes. Every air fryer is different and this will tell you how long your grilled cheese will still have to go in the air fryer oven.
There are soooooo many different types of cheese you can go with when making this.
Here are a few of my favorites:
And don’t sleep on Bleu, Feta, Havarti and Goat cheese. These types of cheeses might not scream “Grilled Cheese” but trust me they’ll elevate your classic childhood dish to suit your adult tastes.
There are a few things you can do to make a healthier air fried sandwich. And it is as simple as
Use low-calorie cooking spray instead of butter.
Use low-fat American cheese or other cheese.
You can also use a low in carbs bread.
My Top Pick For Oil Sprayer
Evo Oil Sprayer Bottle
My go-to spraying bottle. Every Air Fryer user should have one.
This is a great recipe to serve with other easy recipes like;
More Air Fryer Recipes
Love your air fryer as much as I love mine? Then here are a few more recipes that you might like to try;
- Air Fryer Tater Tots. Loved by the whole family.
- Air Fryer Burgers. The juiciest burger ever.
- Air Fried Tofu. A great snack or lunch wrap.
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries. So, so good.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 8 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Thank you for reading my How to Make Grilled Cheese In Air Fryer recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue to slice, dice and dream up affordable Air Fryer recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Southern Recipes and more. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Get the Crunchy Grilled Cheese Air Fryer Recipe:
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Air Fryer Grilled Cheese! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tsp butter or cooking spray
- 2 slice cheese
- 1/4 pear thinly sliced
Make The Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread making sure all the bread is covered.
- Add cheese and pear. Fold the cheese slices in between the bread slices making sure no cheese is sticking out of the bread slices.
- Add into the air fryer and cook for 8 minutes before flipping and cooking for another 3-4 minutes on the second side.
- Serve warm.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Serving Suggestions
- Tomato Soup, Air Fryer Bacon
- Fold the cheese slices in-between the bread slices making sure all the cheese is inside the bread not falling out.
- Keep the buttered sides facing outwards.
- You can also use a light cooking spray in place of butter.
- Use the rack your air fryer came with to prevent bread from possibly flying up during cooking process.
- There are 8 WW Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
It is really a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. Indian Matka
Air-fried fried cheese is a delicious dish that many of us remember from childhood. When I was getting ready to go to school, my mother often treated me to this magnificent treat. It brings me back memories from the past, namely from childhood, which I recently read used https://phdessay.com/childhood-is-the-best-part-of-ones-life-narrate-your-experience/ for this. Air-fried fried cheese has a crispy exterior and a tender, spreadable filling. Each piece of cheese has a golden color and a rich cheesy flavor. This dish is sure to cheer up and become a source of real pleasure. No matter how fast I hurried to school, the moment I could enjoy grilled cheese became special. This delicacy became a symbol of my mother’s care and love, which made my morning rituals even more enjoyable and memorable.
reckless driving virginia 85 mph
Thank you for sharing informative blog, We are providing law related services if you need any help visit our page.
Its a very nice and useful commentry.. just loved reading your content
abogados de bancarrota cerca!
Free Instagram Likes
The free Instagram likes trial can be a useful tool for gaining more followers and increasing engagement on your posts. The process is simple: you sign up for a free trial, and the service will automatically start sending likes to your posts the great thing about these free Instagram Likes trials is that they are simple and straightforward. You don’t have to fill out any surveys or provide any personal information all you need to do is sign up and start using the service With the right trial.
If you’re looking to boost your Instagram Likes, SMM Panel One is a great site to consider. This award-winning platform has become a top choice for buying Instagram likes in 2023. Buying likes can be a quick and easy way to increase your reach. And when it comes to buying Instagram likes, SMM Panel One is one of the best sites out there. In fact, we come to the top list of the best sites for buying Instagram likes in 2023.
such a wonderful blog and thank you so much. keep update here and i want more information for this topic.
Abogado Conducción Imprudente Henrico VA