Or brunch, or lunch or anything food related?
Because these jerk shrimps with coconut rice and peas are one of those meals that work well for every type of eating situation. Seriously, we had the leftovers for breakfast – because rice for breakfast is a thing in Sierra Leone.
This recipe takes me back to growing up in Sierra Leone, where I would be lucky enough to go to the beach early in the morning and watch the small fishing boats pull in with their catch. Then get to watch everything divided amongst the community, before being able to approach sellers to buy fresh fish, shrimps and crabs.
Pretty much from sea to plate in under 2 hrs. Now that I live in the UK, I tend to just get really good quality frozen shrimps, ones that are freshly frozen at source which pretty much count as the same thing.
What I love about these jerk shrimps with coconut rice and peas is that it is so easy to make. And whilst I have kept the rice and peas really simple, because I like it like this and want to give you a starting base, is easy for you to add in a few more small veggies to your taste. I suggest you add quick cooking veggies in the last 8-10 mins as the rice is cooking.
Oh and things to top the jerk shrimps with coconut rice and peas with? Well my favourite is fried plantains or baked plantains. Along with avocado and some sweet juicy tropical fruit like mango or pineapple. Homemade guacamole and pickled chillies work well too.
I have been talking at you guys a lot. Thank goodness for having a food blog which allows me to do that. But enough from me. Here is how to make these jerk shrimps with coconut rice and peas, which is made even better with some plantains, mango and thick slices of avocado.
PS if you like this recipe you might also like these jerk shrimp tacos with sweetcorn, pineapple and mango or this Jamaican Curry Goat hat I made a little while ago.
Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag me on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Jerk Shrimp With Coconut Rice and Peas recipe! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Jerk Shrimp With Coconut Rice and Peas recipe
For the coconut rice and peas:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions , finely chopped
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 600 (1.3lb) basmati rice
- 400 g (14oz) tin of black-eyed beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 700 ml (2.9 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 400 ml (1.6 cup) coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Chilli flakes to taste
For the jerk shrimp:
- 32 large red shrimp
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning paste
- Chopped pineapple or mango
- Chopped pickled chilli
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Fried plantain (optional)
- Add in the all spice, garlic puree, thyme sprigs and bay leaves and fry for about 30 secs.
- Then add in rice and stir constantly until rice is coated.
- Heat up the grill to are medium heat. If using a bbq, then fire up the bbq till the coals are medium hot.
- Oil the grill plate and place the shrimps on a griddle on the hot grill (or barbeque) and grill them for 2-3 mins on each side until they are cooked through and transfer them to a plate.
- Serve the Jerk prawns with some coconut rice and peas and topping as preferred.
Please pin me: